Old 11-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Alan McKay

Default SSD diagnostics / benchmarks

Hey folks,

I looked back through the list archives and there are surprisingly few
threads with "SSD" in the subject.

In my new job I've been handed over a number of things that were
outstanding with the previous Sys Admin, and one of them was an SSD
that was suspect. I just plugged it into a diagnostics laptop
(running Ubuntu) to use
the Linux Smart software to check it - and it all seems fine even
after running the disk test suite from the GUI. In digging for more
info I discovered that the errors were actually coming from the RAID
controller - and the SSD has obviously been removed from there for the
time being.

While I have it in my hands I'd like to do some kind of complete test
/ diagnostics suite on it. Preferably Linux based since that's what
we have here.

I found a few windows-based tools with my googling. I did stumble
upon this page which looks like it has a few useful tips for using
SSDs on Linux
http://danweinreb.org/blog/using-solid-state-disks-on-linux

Now, what about comprehensive suites? Should I just run some IO
suites on it like bonnie++ or something like that, and see what SMART
says in the process?

I'm suspecting the RAID controller at this point ... but want to be as
thorough as possible while I have it in my hands.

cheers,
-Alan

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Colin Law

On 23 November 2011 19:25, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, what about comprehensive suites? *Should I just run some IO
> suites on it like bonnie++ or something like that, and see what SMART
> says in the process?

I don't know a great deal about it but I had assumed that one of the
points of SMART is that the diagnostics show you information about the
complete history of the drive, so if it *had* been playing up then it
should show in the SMART data, whether it is an SSD or not. In that
case there is no point doing comprehensive tests as it has effectively
been running tests since it was new. I am quite prepared for someone
to point out the errors in my logic however

Colin