Old 11-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Douglas Pollard

Default shop computer

I have an old Dell computer in my workshop that I want to run Ubuntu
10.04 with EMC on. I plan to use it to operate a small cnc milling
machine. I had another machine that I used some, but it went the way of
most old things. Poof! This Dell machine's speed is 1ghtz of and had
512 megs of ram. This should be adequate I think. I have 10.04
installed and Grub works I also have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the
second drive. If I make my program choice in Grub neither program will
run. The BIOS are set to run in the original Dell mode. Do I need to
make a change in the Bios to allow Ubuntu to run? While I am at it i am
learning some things with some of the off topic posts, so they are not
all bad:-) . Thanks, Doug

Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Bill Stanley

I have an old Dell computer in my workshop that I want to run Ubuntu
10.04 with EMC on. I plan to use it to operate a small cnc milling
machine. I had another machine that I used some, but it went the way of
most old things. Poof! This Dell machine's speed is 1ghtz of and had 512
megs of ram. This should be adequate I think. I have 10.04 installed and
Grub works I also have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the second drive. If I
make my program choice in Grub neither program will run. The BIOS are
set to run in the original Dell mode. Do I need to make a change in the
Bios to allow Ubuntu to run? While I am at it i am learning some things
with some of the off topic posts, so they are not all bad:-) . Thanks, Doug

Although this reply emails says nothing about installing Unbuntu, I
would like to recommend that you expand the RAM to the maximum that the
computer can take. Right now, memory is cheap and offers a lot of bang
for the buck.

Bill Stanley

Old 11-24-2011, 06:01 PM
Liam Proven

On 23 November 2011 16:40, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> I have an old Dell computer in my workshop that I want to run Ubuntu 10.04
> with EMC on. *I plan to use it to operate a small cnc milling machine. I had
> another machine that I used some, but it went the way of most old things.
> Poof! *This Dell machine's speed is 1ghtz of *and had 512 megs of ram. This
> should be adequate I think. *I have 10.04 installed and Grub works I also
> have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the second drive. *If I make my program
> choice in Grub neither program will run. *The BIOS are set to run in the
> original Dell mode. * *Do I need to make a change in the Bios to allow
> Ubuntu to run? While I am at it i am learning some things with some of the
> off topic posts, so they are not all bad:-) . *Thanks, Doug

You shouldn't /need/ to make any changes, no.

I'd suggest just sticking to one version at a time - it's much
simpler. Multiple parallel installations confuse me and I am fairly
expert at such things!

How big are its hard disks?

Old 11-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Yorvyk

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 19:01:51 +0000
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 November 2011 16:40, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> > I have an old Dell computer in my workshop that I want to run Ubuntu 10.04
> > with EMC on. *I plan to use it to operate a small cnc milling machine. I had
> > another machine that I used some, but it went the way of most old things.
> > Poof! *This Dell machine's speed is 1ghtz of *and had 512 megs of ram. This
> > should be adequate I think. *I have 10.04 installed and Grub works I also
> > have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on the second drive. *If I make my program
> > choice in Grub neither program will run. *The BIOS are set to run in the
> > original Dell mode. * *Do I need to make a change in the Bios to allow
> > Ubuntu to run? While I am at it i am learning some things with some of the
> > off topic posts, so they are not all bad:-) . *Thanks, Doug
>
> You shouldn't /need/ to make any changes, no.
>
> I'd suggest just sticking to one version at a time - it's much
> simpler. Multiple parallel installations confuse me and I am fairly
> expert at such things!
>
> How big are its hard disks?

I'm with Liam on this one. Stick with one OS if you're only going to use it to run a CNC machine. 10.04 would be best for this. Dell computers often have various diagnostic, and other, partitions on them that aren't needed once the machine is out of warranty. So just tell the installer to use ALL of the disk. There are other partitioning schemes but, this should make things easier to diagnose if there are still boot problems.
The hardware is more than adequate, I've seen lesser hardware perform this task without problems.

--
Yorvyk

Old 11-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Douglas Pollard

On 11/24/2011 02:01 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

[...]

Liam. My first drive is 20 g the second is 40. Yes I will be taking the
unbuntu in the seond drive out. I had installed 10.04 and couldn't get
it to run so installed 11.10 on the second to just to see if it would
run. The machine had xp in it and I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on that
drive. Xp was running Ok but I don't have any use for it.
Doug