Old 11-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Chris Green

Default Is there a simple FAX sending program for Ubuntu?

My all-in-one-printer is getting decrepit and it's FAX sending ability
is broken.

I have a FAX/Modem I can put in my system but I can't see any FAX
program that looks as if it will be simple[ish] to install and run.

The ones I have found are:-
efax - only sends text and postscript files, messy to send scanned images
gfax - frontend, looks OK, but what does it use to drive the FAX?
hylafax - much too big and complex

Any suggestions anyone?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Vijay Boyapati

I really like the online application HelloFax. I used it just yesterday.
https://www.hellofax.com/

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM
James Freer

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> My all-in-one-printer is getting decrepit and it's FAX sending ability
> is broken.
>
> I have a FAX/Modem I can put in my system but I can't see any FAX
> program that looks as if it will be simple[ish] to install and run.
>
> The ones I have found are:-
> * *efax - only sends text and postscript files, messy to send scanned images
> * *gfax - frontend, looks OK, but what does it use to drive the FAX?
> * *hylafax - much too big and complex

When you say efax i assume you are referring to efax-gtk by Chris
Vine. I've used it for about four years and found it excellent no
problems at all. I tend to use Abiword and print to a pdf - then send
as opposed to using PS. Scanned messages... print to pdf and then
send. Printing to pdf i suppose is a pain but onyl takes a second -
how many faxes are you sending? efax-gtk also good for batch sending
which is what i tend to do.

Receiving... i use efax number to receive in an email (i think the
quota is 20 per month). Most of the time i send (with email address)
and people will email me back.

gfax and hylafax i did try and use years ago and stuck with efax-gtk
as it's nice and simple.... and no problems yet. All free.

james

Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 AM
NoOp

On 11/22/2011 09:48 AM, Chris Green wrote:
> My all-in-one-printer is getting decrepit and it's FAX sending ability
> is broken.
>
> I have a FAX/Modem I can put in my system but I can't see any FAX
> program that looks as if it will be simple[ish] to install and run.
>
> The ones I have found are:-
> efax - only sends text and postscript files, messy to send scanned images
> gfax - frontend, looks OK, but what does it use to drive the FAX?
> hylafax - much too big and complex
>
> Any suggestions anyone?

Not a simple answer... it primarily depends upon what chipset the
fax/modem has in it. I have an agere winfax card & sktsee helped me get
it working. Wasn't simple, but now I can use the card to send/receive
faxes w/o much issue using efax-gtk. The threads from this list that
sktsee helped with & some of the issues I did to overcome the problem:

<http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user/137305>

Note: you'll need to click on the '(Continue reading). In my case I need
to use martian-modem. I just updated the kernel & found that
martian-modem wasn't working, so instead of doing a 'make install' this
time I simply purged martian-modem & reinstalled directly from from the
repositories ($ sudo apt-get install martian-modem). With sktsee's
script it's all working again. If yu do need to user martian-modem,
sktsee's script is as follows:

#!/bin/bash
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: martian_modem
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Start:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: martian modem driver
### END INIT INFO
# Init file for martian_modem
#
# chkconfig: 2345 45 55
#
# processname: martian_modem
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: martian_modem
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Short-Description: martian_modem
# Author: Stefan Puch
# Adjustments for 2006/11 release A. Chentsov
### END INIT INFO

NAME="martian_modem"
MARTIANMOD="martian_dev"
USER_DRIVER="/usr/sbin/martian_modem"

# edit to set other name
DEVICE="/dev/ttySM0"

if [ `/sbin/lsmod | grep -c ${MARTIANMOD}` -lt "1" ]; then
echo "kernel module is not loaded!"
exit 0
fi

start() {
echo -n "Starting ${NAME}: "
if [ `ps -A | grep -c ${NAME}` -gt "0" ]; then
echo "${NAME} is already running. Use restart instead."
exit 1
fi

if [ ${DEVICE} != "/dev/ttySM0" ]; then
ARGDEV=${DEVICE}
else
ARGDEV=
fi
/usr/sbin/martian_modem --daemon --group=dip --mode=0660
--log=/var/log/martian --country=us ${ARGDEV}
[ -d /var/lock/subsys ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/martian
echo "Done"
}

stop() {
echo -n "Shutting down ${NAME}: "
if [ `ps -A | grep -c "martian_modem"` -lt "1" ]; then
echo "${NAME} is not running."
exit 1
fi
PID=`/bin/pidof ${NAME}`

# cease now
/bin/kill ${PID}
rm -f /var/lock/subsys/martian

if [ -L ${DEVICE} ]; then
rm -f ${DEVICE}
fi
echo "Done"
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
start)
start
;;
stop)
stop
;;
status)
PID=`/bin/pidof ${NAME}`
if [ -n "${PID}" ] ; then
echo ${NAME} "(PID ${PID}) is running..."
else
echo ${NAME} "is stopped"
fi
;;
restart|reload)
stop
start
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status}"
exit 1
esac

exit 0

Copy and paste the above into gedit & save as 'martian'. Copy the file
to /etc/init.d/martian:

$ sudo cp martian /etc/init.d/martian

Good luck, as it's not easy at first, but once you get the hang of it it
works well.
Note: I also have an Epson Workforce 635 that has a built in fax; works
well standalone, but Epson doesn't provide a linux fax driver (they do
for Windows), so unless I'm faxing hardcopies, I just use efax-gtk
instead - ditto for incoming faxes if I'm not near the 635 to turn on
the fax receive function button. Also note that if you have the proper
HP multifunction printer/fax, HP provide a fax utility that you can use.
So it might be worth checking out if you are in the mood for a new MF
printer/fax/scanner.

Additional information:
http://efax-gtk.sourceforge.net/

Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Chris Green

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:04:08PM +0000, James Freer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > My all-in-one-printer is getting decrepit and it's FAX sending ability
> > is broken.
> >
> > I have a FAX/Modem I can put in my system but I can't see any FAX
> > program that looks as if it will be simple[ish] to install and run.
> >
> > The ones I have found are:-
> > * *efax - only sends text and postscript files, messy to send scanned images
> > * *gfax - frontend, looks OK, but what does it use to drive the FAX?
> > * *hylafax - much too big and complex
>
> When you say efax i assume you are referring to efax-gtk by Chris
> Vine. I've used it for about four years and found it excellent no
> problems at all. I tend to use Abiword and print to a pdf - then send
> as opposed to using PS. Scanned messages... print to pdf and then
> send. Printing to pdf i suppose is a pain but onyl takes a second -
> how many faxes are you sending? efax-gtk also good for batch sending
> which is what i tend to do.
>
> Receiving... i use efax number to receive in an email (i think the
> quota is 20 per month). Most of the time i send (with email address)
> and people will email me back.
>
> gfax and hylafax i did try and use years ago and stuck with efax-gtk
> as it's nice and simple.... and no problems yet. All free.

Thanks for the feedback, it's just the sort of stuff I needed to know
about efax & efax-gtk. It sounds like it will satisfy my needs as it
accepts PDF. Does it talk to a fax modem directly or is there some
other stuff required?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM
James Freer

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Chris

My apologies - i should have mentioned... i'm just using a basic serial modem
[BT Enabler is the model a few years old now - about 5 and i bought a spare as
well!] standard serial modem for internet dialup, voice, data. Allegedly one can
get winmodems, usb modems to work - i didn't bother as someone told me with
linux a serial modem is just plug in and works. It has faultlessly.

james--

Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Chris Green

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:57:17AM +0000, James Freer wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Chris Green wrote:

> >>When you say efax i assume you are referring to efax-gtk by Chris
> >>Vine. I've used it for about four years and found it excellent no
> >>problems at all. I tend to use Abiword and print to a pdf - then send
> >>as opposed to using PS. Scanned messages... print to pdf and then
> >>send. Printing to pdf i suppose is a pain but onyl takes a second -
> >>how many faxes are you sending? efax-gtk also good for batch sending
> >>which is what i tend to do.
> >>
> >>Receiving... i use efax number to receive in an email (i think the
> >>quota is 20 per month). Most of the time i send (with email address)
> >>and people will email me back.
> >>
> >>gfax and hylafax i did try and use years ago and stuck with efax-gtk
> >>as it's nice and simple.... and no problems yet. All free.
> >>
> >Thanks for the feedback, it's just the sort of stuff I needed to know
> >about efax & efax-gtk. It sounds like it will satisfy my needs as it
> >accepts PDF. Does it talk to a fax modem directly or is there some
> >other stuff required?
> >
> >--
> >Chris Green
>
> Chris
>
> My apologies - i should have mentioned... i'm just using a basic
> serial modem [BT Enabler is the model a few years old now - about 5
> and i bought a spare as well!] standard serial modem for internet
> dialup, voice, data. Allegedly one can get winmodems, usb modems to
> work - i didn't bother as someone told me with linux a serial modem
> is just plug in and works. It has faultlessly.

OK, thanks even more, I *may* have an old 'external' serial modem that I
can connect to the serial port (I think I still have one!).

--
Chris Green