Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default USB num pad (combined with mouse) overrides NumLock on laptop keyboard

On 11/22/2011 08:16 AM, Adam Funk wrote:

I'm running oneiric on an Asus laptop with a normal laptop keyboard
(i.e., no separate num pad, but a "special" key that makes one of the
F-keys turn num lock on, turning part of the main keyboard into a num
pad).

I just got a Hama 2in1 USB combined mouse& num pad. The mouse
functions work fine. The num pad works too, but when I press any of
the buttons on it, the num lock function on the main keyboard is
activated, so I can't alternate between entering words with the main
keyboard and numbers with the external num pad. In order to
deactivate the num lock function on the main keyboard, I have to
unplug the USB device and then use the special-num-lock combination to
turn the on-board num pad off. (I hope that makes sense.) Using the
num-lock control while the USB device is plugged in, after any of its
keys have been pressed, has no effect.

Is there anything I can configure to completely disable the num pad
functionality on the main keyboard, while still allowing the external
one to work, so I can use this set-up the way I want?

(I touch-type, including using the num pad on my desktop for anything
over 3 or 4 digits,& I'd like to be able to work the same way on the
laptop.)

I don't have a laptop with that feature to check, but have you looked at
the bios to see if the special key can be turned off there?

Regards, Jim

Old 11-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Avi Greenbury

Adam Funk wrote:
> Is there anything I can configure to completely disable the num pad
> functionality on the main keyboard, while still allowing the external
> one to work, so I can use this set-up the way I want?

Usually this is a hardware implementation - the OS is unaware that when
num-lock is enabled the keys all have funny meanings - so I'd poke
around the BIOS to see if you can disable it there.

That might get you round the weird behaviour, though that does sound
more softwarey to me.

--
Avi

Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Adam Funk

On 2011-11-22, Jim Byrnes wrote:

> On 11/22/2011 08:16 AM, Adam Funk wrote:
>> I'm running oneiric on an Asus laptop with a normal laptop keyboard
>> (i.e., no separate num pad, but a "special" key that makes one of the
>> F-keys turn num lock on, turning part of the main keyboard into a num
>> pad).
>>
>> I just got a Hama 2in1 USB combined mouse& num pad. The mouse
>> functions work fine. The num pad works too, but when I press any of
>> the buttons on it, the num lock function on the main keyboard is
>> activated, so I can't alternate between entering words with the main
>> keyboard and numbers with the external num pad. In order to
>> deactivate the num lock function on the main keyboard, I have to
>> unplug the USB device and then use the special-num-lock combination to
>> turn the on-board num pad off. (I hope that makes sense.) Using the
>> num-lock control while the USB device is plugged in, after any of its
>> keys have been pressed, has no effect.
>>
>> Is there anything I can configure to completely disable the num pad
>> functionality on the main keyboard, while still allowing the external
>> one to work, so I can use this set-up the way I want?

> I don't have a laptop with that feature to check, but have you looked at
> the bios to see if the special key can be turned off there?

Good suggestion! But I checked after you suggested that &
unfortunately there isn't.