Old 11-21-2011, 10:20 PM
"W. Scott Lockwood III"

Default Linux on the desktop

Can I ask, why do people think* business is so hostile to the adoption of Linux on the desktop? Where I work, we have a several hundred (500 – 700 depending on time of year) seat call center. It all runs DRBL. We use AFS for storage, Kerberos for authentication, Open LDAP for various things, and a soft phone, a web browser, and an email client for the reps. And we’ve been doing it this way for quite some time now. Corporate users still use Windows, somewhat. IT, Dev, and QA do not, as a rule use Windows, but may if they want to. I do – because I like to play EVE online in my off time (it’s my only Winduhs box – the other 5 in the house all run either Debian or Ubuntu – except for my new Mint box, which I’m still undecided about). Even my phone now runs Linux. (R.I.P. Crackberry. :’()
*
Life is about choice. The right tool for the right job is the choice I like to make. We chose to make Linux on the desktop a reality because it cuts our cost per seat in half, and our administrative costs are lower as well. Security is no longer the nightmare it once was.
*
So – what’s holding the rest of you back?
*
*
--
W. Scott Lockwood III