Old 11-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default OFFTOPIC: Liam wants to argue (Was A task-centric desktop...)

On 11/21/2011 04:40 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

<snip->

You may have noticed that, throughout all of history, it has been the
dissatisfied who were responsible for all of progress, whether
directly or indirectly. Dissent is /not always/ whining.

...although it certainly /can/ be.

<snip>

Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the slashes /
/ in the quote above. I guess somehow in my use of the net I failed
to learn what they mean.

Thanks, Jim

Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 07:57:31 -0600
Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/21/2011 04:40 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>

> <snip->
>
> >> You may have noticed that, throughout all of history, it has been
> >> the dissatisfied who were responsible for all of progress, whether
> >> directly or indirectly. Dissent is /not always/ whining.
> >>
> >> ...although it certainly /can/ be.
>

> <snip>
>
> Could someone please tell me what is the significance of the
> slashes / / in the quote above. I guess somehow in my use of the
> net I failed to learn what they mean.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Sure. They are used with plain text to indicate when something should
be /italicized/, *bolded*, or _underlined_.
It is a feeble but well-intended method of stressing or otherwise
indicating inflection in a poor medium.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple. After that, it's all
learned.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 11/22/2011 09:04 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I guessed it indicated emphasis of some type but wasn't sure.

Regards, Jim