Old 11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
NoOp

Default fixing distant computer via remote control

On 11/21/2011 01:40 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 21 November 2011 02:21, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 21 November 2011 01:48, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> Why would you find that necessary when vino/vinegre is already included
>>> and installed in 10.10?
>>
>> AFAIK that requires router reconfiguration. Teamviewer does not:
>> requests are proxied across TV's servers. No user list information or
>> anything else is stored there, TTBOMK, not for private users, anyway.
>
> In addition TeamViewer has a Windows client, so if you are unfortunate
> enough to have to support users who have to use Windows then this
> route works for them also.
>
> That is not to say that I think TeamViewer is always the best
> solution, it is just very easy as it avoids messing about with the
> router. For those with a high level of support I use x11vnc that I
> can run remotely via ssh as I find it gives better screen quality and
> can be activated with no action on their part.
For Windows users I use ultravnc:
http://www.uvnc.com/
and if I need a reverse connection I use uvnc's Single Click:
http://www.uvnc.com/products/uvnc-sc.html
And it's opensource:
http://ultravnc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ultravnc/
UltraVNC is Free and distributed under the terms of theGNU General
Public License.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:57 PM
"Jeff G."

Sharing: click Allow other users to view... click Allow other users to
control...

Remote Desktop through System>preferences seems to supply your IP when
you check allow - looks like that to me, anyway...

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 AM
NoOp

On 11/21/2011 03:57 PM, Jeff G. wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 04:37 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> Sharing: click Allow other users to view... click Allow other users to
>> control...
>
> Remote Desktop through System>preferences seems to supply your IP when
> you check allow - looks like that to me, anyway...

It does... unless of course you object to vino phoning home to servers
in Brazil to give you that IP. See:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/608701
[vino establishes a HTTP connection to check connectivity ]

I've included a workaround in my comment #10.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:26 PM
sdavmor