Old 11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default Pushing RGA through the DVI port with open-source drivers.

My desktop's motherboard has a DVI port that I would like to connect
to the television. I found this inexpensive cable on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6ft-DVI-I-Male-3-RCA-Component-Video-Male-Cable-6-ft-/160586092167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2563ad 4e87

It looks to me that I need to push RCA video out through the DVI port
to do this. Long ago on a competing operating system I managed to push
RCA video out through a VGA port using a similar adapter. The graphics
card's drivers had this ability built in, though I do not remember the
details. Can I do something like this with the open-source drivers in
Ubuntu? If not, do the Catalyst drivers support this (ATI graphics)?

Thank you!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Jeffrey Gray

Well, the three cables are your RGB signaling. VGA is RGB with a
vertical and or horizontal sync (or something of the sort) I don't
see why you couldn't use that cable and have it work at the hardware
level without worrying about drivers. The 4 pins surrounding the
blade ensure that the DVI connector can not be plugged into a DVI-D
(digital only). With the DVI-I the port is outputting a DVI signal on
some of the pins and the old analog RGB signal over others.

Just my quick thought.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 23:48, Jeffrey Gray <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, the three cables are your RGB signaling. *VGA is RGB with a
> vertical and or horizontal sync (or something of the sort) *I don't
> see why you couldn't use that cable and have it work at the hardware
> level without worrying about drivers. *The 4 pins surrounding the
> blade ensure that the DVI connector can not be plugged into a DVI-D
> (digital only). *With the DVI-I the port is outputting a DVI signal on
> some of the pins and the old analog RGB signal over others.
>
> Just my quick thought.

Thanks, Jeffrey. I just now noticed that the cable that I linked to is
in fact component video: one RCA plug each for the Red Green and Blue.
Unfortunately the television that I am connecting to has only a single
(yellow) RCA video in.

My previous experience was with a single RCA (yellow) plug which
connected to a VGA out and did require a special driver. I will try to
locate a different cable or adapter that might suit the television's
input.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 PM
Jeffrey Gray

You will need a converter as the signal is not adaptable.

Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 01:41, Jeffrey Gray <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com> wrote:
> You will need a converter as the signal is not adaptable.

Either a converter or a video driver which can push composite through
the DVI connector's analogue pins. It sounds stupid, but here is a
similar example for pushing composite through a VGA connector (which
like DVI analogue is component video):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laptop-VGA-TV-SVideo-RCA-Composite-Adapter-Cable-/150703843845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316a6 2a05

Presumably, there is a standard (even if defacto) for which pins carry
which signals in that configuration. An old (2004ish) ATI card that I
was using with Windows XP at the time had such a driver, and I was
able to use the ebay adapter with the ATI driver to output to a
television over the composite output (yellow RCA plug). Fedora 3 on
the same setup could not drive the TV (so this must have been in
2005-2006 when the hardware was 2-3 years old). I do not remember
which driver I was using at the time (mesa?) but I would like to know
if the technology has progressed. I could find nothing relevant
googling.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il