-   -   What must be done to get Skype running? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/600030-what-must-done-get-skype-running.html)

Bill Stanley 11-18-2011 05:06 PM

What must be done to get Skype running?

Hi,

I am thinking about trying to install Skype but I need to know what
software I must install and what hardware is best. I have Unbuntu 10.10
(32 bit version) running and I'm not thinking about upgrading to Unbuntu
11.XX.

I see that the software repository has Skype on it but is it acceptable.
Microsoft has recently bought Skype so I'm wondering if they will
support Skype on Linux. Is the version on the repository all the
software that is needed to run Skype?

Now as for the hardware component... My laptop is a Dell with an AMD 64
bit processor, and 2 Gbytes of ram. It's a bit old but is still quite
usable. There is no microphone but do any webcams come with the needed
microphone? What webcams are best to avoid?

Bill Stanley

Alan Pope 11-18-2011 05:46 PM

What must be done to get Skype running?

I see that the software repository has Skype on it but is it acceptable.
Microsoft has recently bought Skype so I'm wondering if they will
support Skype on Linux. Is the version on the repository all the
software that is needed to run Skype?

Install it and find out. It works fine for me.

Now as for the hardware component... My laptop is a Dell with an AMD 64
bit processor, and 2 Gbytes of ram. It's a bit old but is still quite
usable. There is no microphone but do any webcams come with the needed
microphone? What webcams are best to avoid?

I have two webcams:-

Philips Toucam 740K
Logitech Pro 9000

Both work just fine in Skype and have built in microphones. I would
personally avoid the absolute cheapest of the cheap because they are
generally pretty crappy quality.

Many webcams these days have mics built in, and in the auto mixer you
can mute/unmute and adjust the volume of them easily. Indeed newer
versions of Skype are pulse-audio aware and can manage the audio for you.

Mostly just works.

Al.