FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 PM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default Unable to kill dpkg process on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS Server

Hi,

I have the below process running on Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 and i am not
able to get rid of these process using kill -9 26981 and kill -9 7550

Please suggest

Regards

Kaushal

root@hostdev:~# fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock ; dpkg --configure -a
USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
/var/lib/dpkg/lock: root 26981 F.... dpkg
Kill process 26981 ? (y/N) y
dpkg: status database area is locked by another process
root@hostdev:~# ps -ef | grep dpkg
root 7550 1 0 Nov16 ? 00:00:04 /usr/bin/dpkg
--status-fd 16 --unpack --auto-deconfigure
/var/cache/apt/archives/echoping_6.0.2-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fping_2.4b2-to-ipv6-16.1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/wwwconfig-common_0.2.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/javascript-common_7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libconfig-grammar-perl_1.10-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-sha1-perl_2.12-1build1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-hmac-perl_1.01-7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libsocket6-perl_0.23-1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libio-socket-inet6-perl_2.54-1.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-prototype_1.6.1-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-scriptaculous_1.8.3-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-cropper_1.2.1-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/speedy-cgi-perl_2.22-11_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/librrds-perl_1.3.8-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libsnmp-session-perl_1.13-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/smokeping_2.3.6-5_all.deb
root 9077 22512 0 16:06 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color=auto dpkg
root 26981 1 0 04:16 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dpkg
--status-fd 17 --unpack --auto-deconfigure
/var/cache/apt/archives/echoping_6.0.2-3_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/fping_2.4b2-to-ipv6-16.1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/wwwconfig-common_0.2.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/javascript-common_7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libconfig-grammar-perl_1.10-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-sha1-perl_2.12-1build1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-hmac-perl_1.01-7_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libsocket6-perl_0.23-1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libio-socket-inet6-perl_2.54-1.1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-prototype_1.6.1-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-scriptaculous_1.8.3-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-cropper_1.2.1-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/speedy-cgi-perl_2.22-11_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/librrds-perl_1.3.8-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libsnmp-session-perl_1.13-1_all.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/smokeping_2.3.6-5_all.deb
root@hostdev:~#

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Marius Gedminas
 
Default Unable to kill dpkg process on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS Server

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 05:47:05AM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I have the below process running on Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 and i am not
> able to get rid of these process using kill -9 26981 and kill -9 7550

Wow.

I assume you were killing them as root, right?

Unkillable (with -9) processes mean they're in uninterruptible sleep.
Usually this means waiting for some remote filesystem. Do you use NFS
on this server? Or a fuse-based filesystem like sshfs?

Can you see anything suspect in dmesg? Can you strace the hung dpkg
processes and see where they're blocked?

> Please suggest
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal
>
> root@hostdev:~# fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock ; dpkg --configure -a
> USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
> /var/lib/dpkg/lock: root 26981 F.... dpkg
> Kill process 26981 ? (y/N) y
> dpkg: status database area is locked by another process
> root@hostdev:~# ps -ef | grep dpkg
> root 7550 1 0 Nov16 ? 00:00:04 /usr/bin/dpkg
> --status-fd 16 --unpack --auto-deconfigure
> /var/cache/apt/archives/echoping_6.0.2-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fping_2.4b2-to-ipv6-16.1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/wwwconfig-common_0.2.1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/javascript-common_7_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libconfig-grammar-perl_1.10-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-sha1-perl_2.12-1build1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-hmac-perl_1.01-7_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsocket6-perl_0.23-1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libio-socket-inet6-perl_2.54-1.1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-prototype_1.6.1-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-scriptaculous_1.8.3-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-cropper_1.2.1-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/speedy-cgi-perl_2.22-11_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/librrds-perl_1.3.8-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsnmp-session-perl_1.13-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/smokeping_2.3.6-5_all.deb
> root 9077 22512 0 16:06 pts/1 00:00:00 grep --color=auto dpkg
> root 26981 1 0 04:16 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/dpkg
> --status-fd 17 --unpack --auto-deconfigure
> /var/cache/apt/archives/echoping_6.0.2-3_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/fping_2.4b2-to-ipv6-16.1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/wwwconfig-common_0.2.1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/javascript-common_7_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libconfig-grammar-perl_1.10-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-sha1-perl_2.12-1build1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libdigest-hmac-perl_1.01-7_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsocket6-perl_0.23-1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libio-socket-inet6-perl_2.54-1.1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-prototype_1.6.1-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-scriptaculous_1.8.3-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libjs-cropper_1.2.1-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/speedy-cgi-perl_2.22-11_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/librrds-perl_1.3.8-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/libsnmp-session-perl_1.13-1_all.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/smokeping_2.3.6-5_all.deb
> root@hostdev:~#

Marius Gedminas
--
If nothing else helps, read the documentation.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default Unable to kill dpkg process on Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS Server

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 05:47:05AM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> I have the below process running on Ubuntu Linux 10.04.3 and i am not
>> able to get rid of these process using kill -9 26981 and kill -9 7550
>
> Wow.
>
> I assume you were killing them as root, right?

Yes

>
> Unkillable (with -9) processes mean they're in uninterruptible sleep.
> Usually this means waiting for some remote filesystem. *Do you use NFS
> on this server? *Or a fuse-based filesystem like sshfs?

Nothing of any application as mentioned above.


> Can you see anything suspect in dmesg? *Can you strace the hung dpkg
> processes and see where they're blocked?

dmesg reports nothing and I did ran strace -p 7550 -o /tmp/debug.dpkg
I cannot see anything there.

Regards

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org