Old 11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
"G. "

Default screen freeze

When using either Chome or FF the screen freezes after first
highlighting everything on the page. Was doing it before the update I
downloaded today but now is much worse.

Using Ubuntu 11.10 clean install,

I think you will need a log but I am not sure which one or ones.

Computer is a Samsung NC 110, memory 2 gigs.

Thanks for any assistance

Gary

Old 11-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Bas Roufs

When using either Chome or FF the screen freezes after first

highlighting everything on the page. *Was doing it before the update I

downloaded today but now is much worse. Using Ubuntu 11.10 clean install,...

In my system, I have been experiencing a similar problem ever since the last 2 or 3 versions of Firefox. At present, I work with Firefox 7.01, along with Kubuntu 11.04. Even while typing this little message, Firefox froze at least one time. At such a moment, Firefox seems to be immobile. After about 30 to 60 seconds, Firefox unblocks, after which I can continue the working session.

Chrome I use only as a test browser - so I have no great experience with that one.

Respectfully yours,
Bas.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM
"G. "

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/11/17 G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>
>>
>> When using either Chome or FF the screen freezes after first
>> highlighting everything on the page. *Was doing it before the update I
>> downloaded today but now is much worse. Using Ubuntu 11.10 clean
>> install,...
>
> In my system, I have been experiencing a similar problem ever since the last
> 2 or 3 versions of Firefox. At present, I work with Firefox 7.01, along with
> Kubuntu 11.04. Even while typing this little message, Firefox froze at least
> one time. At such a moment, Firefox seems to be immobile. After about 30 to
> 60 seconds, Firefox unblocks, after which I can continue the working
> session.
>
> Chrome I use only as a test browser - so I have no great experience with
> that one.
>
> Respectfully yours,
> Bas.

I have to reboot. I let is sit for 5 minutes and it was still frozen.

garyk

Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Larry Shields

On 11/17/2011 12:53 PM, G. wrote:

[...]

*Well I also have the same problem in with FF and it started as soon as
FF was updated...The older version this did not happen, so with that I
am now using Opera, it works just fine...

I can't say what the problem is that is causing FF to do this, but I see
that I am not alone...

Just maybe someone can figure out FF's problem and get it fixed soon...

Larry
*

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimate Edition 2.6.3

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Colin Law

On 17 November 2011 18:31, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> When using either Chome or FF the screen freezes after first
> highlighting everything on the page. *Was doing it before the update I
> downloaded today but now is much worse.

Can you be more specific about exactly what you do to make it freeze?
How are you highlighting for example. Does it happen every time?
Does it happen on every web page in both browsers?
Does it happen at other times in those apps?
Do you get freezes in other apps?

What exactly do you mean by freezing? Can you still launch other apps?
Are you able to access the indiator drop down menus for logout etc.
Can you switch to another app that is on screen at the same time as the browser?
What happens if you Ctrl-Alt-T (you should get a terminal)?

Colin

Old 11-18-2011, 04:24 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 10:06 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 17 November 2011 18:31, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When using either Chome or FF the screen freezes after first
>> highlighting everything on the page. *Was doing it before the update I
>> downloaded today but now is much worse.
>
> Can you be more specific about exactly what you do to make it freeze?

On facebook writing a message. I have since worked on other pages
without difficulty so I am thinking it has something to do with fb

> How are you highlighting for example. *Does it happen every time?

I am not highlighting. It happens without my highlighting

For about an hour yesterday it was happening every time

> Does it happen on every web page in both browsers?

I think it is just facebook. After it happened 3 or 4 x in FB I
stayed off that page and gmail was fine.

> Does it happen at other times in those apps?

It has not happened yet in other apps.

> Do you get freezes in other apps?
>
> What exactly do you mean by freezing? *Can you still launch other apps?

I can not do anything else other than shut down and that only by
pushing the computer's off button. The highlighting follows the
cursor.

> Are you able to access the indiator drop down menus for logout etc.
no

> Can you switch to another app that is on screen at the same time as the browser?

No
> What happens if you Ctrl-Alt-T (you should get a terminal)?

If this happens again I will try and let you know.
> Colin

Thanks Collin

garyk