Old 11-17-2011, 10:24 AM
squareyes

Default Grub legacy - Grub 2

Hi,
am having problems removing an external drive with 11.04 installed
My system is running 10.04 , which was installed via Update manager,
and has Grub legacy installed as I have a menu.1st file.
My problem is that there is no mention of 11.04 in the menu.1st file.
so cannot remove 11.04 from the Grub boot menu. Machine will not boot
with the external

drive disconnected.
My question - would installing Grub2 on my 10.04 system give a file I
can edit to remove this external drive??

and would it present me with a lot of aggravation if I did install Grub2..
Many thanks in advance.
Winton

Old 11-23-2011, 05:32 AM
squareyes

am having problems removing an external drive with 11.04 installed
My system is running 10.04 , which was installed via Update manager,
and has Grub legacy installed as I have a menu.1st file.
My problem is that there is no mention of 11.04 in the menu.1st file.
so cannot remove 11.04 from the Grub boot menu. Machine will not boot
with the external

drive disconnected.
My question - would installing Grub2 on my 10.04 system give a file I
can edit to remove this external drive??
and would it present me with a lot of aggravation if I did install
Grub2..

Many thanks in advance.
Winton

Re-posting - I have now installed Grub2, and tried commenting ( #) out
unwanted entries, in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
saved altered file and sudo update-grub. but still cannot boot with
external drive unplugged.
Do I have to do a clean install of everything to get rid of the external
drive?
Any help will be very welcome, getting to the end of my tether here.
Been in the Grub archives but can't

find anything relevant.
Many thanks in advance.
Winton

Old 11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM, squareyes <squareyes@internode.on.net> wrote:
> On 17/11/11 21:54, squareyes wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> am having problems removing an external drive with 11.04 installed
>> My system is running 10.04 , which was installed via Update manager,
>> and has Grub legacy installed as I have a menu.1st file.
>> My problem is that there is no mention of 11.04 in the menu.1st file.
>> so cannot remove *11.04 from the Grub boot menu. Machine will not boot
>> with the external
>> drive disconnected.
>> My question - *would installing Grub2 on my 10.04 system give a file I can
>> edit to remove this external drive??
>> and would it present me with a lot of aggravation if I did install Grub2..
>> Many thanks in advance.
>> Winton
>>

> Re-posting - I have now installed Grub2, and tried commenting ( #) out
> unwanted entries, in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> saved altered file and *sudo update-grub. but still cannot boot with
> external drive unplugged.
> Do I have to do a clean install of everything to get rid of the external
> drive?
> Any help will be very welcome, getting to the end of my tether here. Been in
> the Grub archives but can't
> find anything relevant.

The file grub.cfg is re-written by update-grub, so your edits
disappear. If you then restore the altered file, update-grub's result
is lost. You are in effect fighting with yourself.

You might try unmounting and powering off your external drive before
doing update-grub. Then it won't see the drive and may not put it in
the config file.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-23-2011, 06:00 PM
NoOp

On 11/22/2011 10:32 PM, squareyes wrote:
> On 17/11/11 21:54, squareyes wrote:
>> Hi,
>> am having problems removing an external drive with 11.04 installed
>> My system is running 10.04 , which was installed via Update manager,
>> and has Grub legacy installed as I have a menu.1st file.
>> My problem is that there is no mention of 11.04 in the menu.1st file.
>> so cannot remove 11.04 from the Grub boot menu. Machine will not boot
>> with the external
>> drive disconnected.
>> My question - would installing Grub2 on my 10.04 system give a file I
>> can edit to remove this external drive??
>> and would it present me with a lot of aggravation if I did install
>> Grub2..
>> Many thanks in advance.
>> Winton
>>

> Re-posting - I have now installed Grub2, and tried commenting ( #) out
> unwanted entries, in /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> saved altered file and sudo update-grub. but still cannot boot with
> external drive unplugged.
> Do I have to do a clean install of everything to get rid of the external
> drive?
> Any help will be very welcome, getting to the end of my tether here.
> Been in the Grub archives but can't
> find anything relevant.
> Many thanks in advance.
> Winton

Reinstall grub to the 10.04 drive. The problem is that grub is currently
on the 11.04 drive. See:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling_GRUB2
easiest method (for me):