Old 11-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Buggs Bunny

Default no menu.lst, no menu to select at booting

Hello,

However, I have installed Ubuntu LTS 10.04, but I am amazed to see that there is no option to select from (while booting)....might be this is the default behavior, though I have only Ubuntu installed...Well, but when I tried at google to show the menu while booting, it showed me to uncomment the option:

#hidemenu

from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file...Well, but in my case the file 'menu.lst' is not there! Amazed to see it.

Some of the outputs are as follows:

linuxearth@linuxearth-desktop:~$ ls /boot : http://pastebin.com/JNm7WNX2

linuxearth@linuxearth-desktop:/boot/grub$ ls /boot/grub : http://pastebin.com/3yh7XrhK

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Nils Kassube

Buggs Bunny wrote:
> However, I have installed Ubuntu LTS 10.04, but I am amazed to see
> that there is no option to select from (while booting)....might be
> this is the default behavior, though I have only Ubuntu
> installed...Well, but when I tried at google to show the menu while
> booting, it showed me to uncomment the option:
>
> #hidemenu
>
> from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file...Well, but in my case the file
> 'menu.lst' is not there! Amazed to see it.

Ubuntu 10.04 uses grub2 as default which has no menu.lst. You should
edit /etc/defaults/grub instead and then run the command update-grub.
See <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2> for all the details.

Nils

Old 11-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 11:08:27AM +0530, Buggs Bunny wrote:
> However, I have installed Ubuntu LTS 10.04, but I am amazed to see that
> there is no option to select from (while booting)....might be this is the
> default behavior,

No boot menu by default? Yes, that's default behaviour. You can hold down
either Shift or Control, IIRC, during boot, to make the menu show up.

> though I have only Ubuntu installed...Well, but when I
> tried at google to show the menu while booting, it showed me to uncomment
> the option:
>
> #hidemenu
>
> from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file...Well, but in my case the file
> 'menu.lst' is not there! Amazed to see it.
>
> Some of the outputs are as follows:
>
> linuxearth@linuxearth-desktop:~$ ls /boot : http://pastebin.com/JNm7WNX2
>
> linuxearth@linuxearth-desktop:/boot/grub$ ls /boot/grub :
> http://pastebin.com/3yh7XrhK

There's a file called 'grub.cfg' there, which means you have GRUB2
instead of the old GRUB version 1.

GRUB2 has a different configuration file syntax (hence a different
name). Generally you change its configuration by editing
/etc/default/grub and running update-grub. You probably want to
increase GRUB_HIDDENT_TIMEOUT and disable GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET.

Marius Gedminas
--
Programs that write programs are the happiest programs in the world.
-- Andrew Hume

Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Buggs Bunny

Ubuntu 10.04 uses grub2 as default which has no menu.lst. You should

edit /etc/defaults/grub instead and then run the command update-grub.

See <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2> for all the details.
Okk...

*No boot menu by default? *Yes, that's default behaviour. *You can hold down

either Shift or Control, IIRC, during boot, to make the menu show up.

Oh I see...

There's a file called 'grub.cfg' there, which means you have GRUB2

instead of the old GRUB version 1.

GRUB2 has a different configuration file syntax (hence a different

name). *Generally you change its configuration by editing

/etc/default/grub and running update-grub. *You probably want to

increase GRUB_HIDDENT_TIMEOUT and disable GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET.

Oh I see, I just read out that, and then try back.

Thanks.