Old 11-16-2011, 01:31 AM
vichy

Default how to get desktop icons show in VNC on ubuntu11.10

hi all:
I install ubuntu 11.10 on my target machine with vnc4server.
When I use vnc client to connect to this machine, I cannot see my desktop.

in ubuntu 11.04, I type "gnome-session &" in my xstartup.
but I know since 11.10, unity replace gnome as the window manager.

Is there any specific setting I should add in my xstartup?
if not, how can I let gnome running on when vncserver started?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-16-2011, 03:44 AM
"compdoc"

> in ubuntu 11.04, I type "gnome-session &" in my xstartup.
>but I know since 11.10, unity replace gnome as the window manager.

I use vnc4server, so I cannot say if it works for tightvnc or others...

If you navigate to '/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/' you will see some
or all of these sessions:

gdm.session
gnome-classic.session
gnome-fallback.session
gnome.session
ubuntu-2d.session
ubuntu.session

You can use any one of them as your desktop. 'ubuntu.session' and '
ubuntu-2d.session' are Unity. The others are a basic gnome desktop.

To use one, you don't type in the '.session' part of the name. For example,
' gnome-classic.session' becomes ' gnome-classic'.

When you change your startup file, be sure to log in with ssh and restart
vncserver. I don't like Unity, so here is my xstartup:

#!/bin/sh

# Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
unset SESSION_MANAGER
#exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

[ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
x-window-manager &

Old 11-16-2011, 03:33 PM
vichy

hi compdoc:
2011/11/16, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com>:
>> in ubuntu 11.04, I type "gnome-session &" in my xstartup.
>>but I know since 11.10, unity replace gnome as the window manager.
>
> I use vnc4server, so I cannot say if it works for tightvnc or others...
I use vnc4server either.
sorry for not describe my environment more detail.

> If you navigate to '/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/' you will see some
> or all of these sessions:
>
> gdm.session
> gnome-classic.session
> gnome-fallback.session
> gnome.session
> ubuntu-2d.session
> ubuntu.session
>
> You can use any one of them as your desktop. 'ubuntu.session' and '
> ubuntu-2d.session' are Unity. The others are a basic gnome desktop.
>
> To use one, you don't type in the '.session' part of the name. For example,
> ' gnome-classic.session' becomes ' gnome-classic'.
>
> When you change your startup file, be sure to log in with ssh and restart
> vncserver. I don't like Unity, so here is my xstartup:
>

> #!/bin/sh
>
> # Uncomment the following two lines for normal desktop:
> unset SESSION_MANAGER
> #exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
> /usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

as you explained to me
There will be below sessions:
gdm.session
gnome-classic.session
gnome-fallback.session
gnome.session
ubuntu-2d.session
ubuntu.session

so the format of execution will be if I
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-classic
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback
/usr/bin/gnome-session --session=gnome
the name of session that remove ".session"?

> [ -x /etc/vnc/xstartup ] && exec /etc/vnc/xstartup
> [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
> xsetroot -solid grey
> vncconfig -iconic &
> x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
> x-window-manager &

Appreciate your reply,