-   -   My request to ubuntu developer team (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/598890-my-request-ubuntu-developer-team.html)

"compdoc" 11-15-2011 05:51 PM

My request to ubuntu developer team

> I would be happy to have the desktop which is right now

*
That does cause a thought – is the gnome included with 10.04 LTS vulnerable in some way, or incompatible with the new kernels or packages, or anything that would prevent it’s continued use?
*
*

"a_puzzeled_newbie(^_^);" 11-15-2011 06:00 PM

My request to ubuntu developer team

As it is a interface... its at its base a front end to a command line based system. You yourself can change it out if you want. Yes as it stands the new interface is to be user friendly but with most of us we like what we got. So to get back the gnome or KDE interfaces all you have to do is install them back via the konsole and then change the interface you want to use when you go to log in. Its that simple. There is also an episode of Haktip that shows you how to change out the interfaces as well. Look it up on youtube or go to www.hak5.org and check it out.

Hope this helps!
-- Ben

PS im not part of the dev team... I just know way too many people whom are irritated with the new interface change over.

Liam Proven 11-16-2011 12:48 AM

On 15 November 2011 18:24, R S V Reddy <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to put a request or not. But I just
> want to put a request to the Ubuntu developer's team and it is as follows:
>
> "As a matter of great curiosity, it is really great to use Ubuntu LTS
> edition, yes we all love it. It is stable and highly supportive in all the
> manners - detecting all the hard ware by itself and a large repo of
> softwares too! But I request for the future editions of LTS, to please never
> integrated with it the Unity desktop, since it is so good right now, in the
> future versions too, like 12.04, I would be happy to have the desktop which
> is right now..."

I am sure many people would share your feelings, but it is /way/ too
late for that. 12.04 /will/ be based on Unity and Unity-2D for
lower-spec hardware.

And you know, having played with GNOME 3 and GNOME Shell a bit, I
think they made the right decision. Whereas there are things I like in
GNOME 3 - mainly just its superior virtual-desktop handling - Unity is
by far the smoother, more pleasant interface, I feel.

Liam Proven 11-16-2011 12:54 AM

On 15 November 2011 18:51, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I would be happy to have the desktop which is right now
>
> That does cause a thought – is the gnome included with 10.04 LTS vulnerable
> in some way, or incompatible with the new kernels or packages, or anything
> that would prevent it’s continued use?

GNOME 2 is dead. It is not being maintained any more. Many of its
packages are now part of GNOME 3, such as Gedit or Gnome-terminal. The
same goes for many of its underlying libraries.

What this means is that you can't have GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 installed
on the same copy of Linux at the same time, because many bits of GNOME
2 have been updated into new, Gtk3-based GNOME 3 versions *with the
same names*.

That also means that a single set of repositories can't contain both
GNOME 2 and GNOME 3 bits, because again, they have the same names.

So, no - GNOME 2 is history now. In Ubuntu 11.10, Unity is based on
GNOME 3 libraries, meaning that you can't install the older version.

*But* what has happened is that some volunteers forked GNOME 2.32, the
last version before GNOME 3. It's now called Mate:
https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment

Because the name has changed, the package names have changed. So, in
theory, you can have Mate and GNOME 3 installed at once.

And there is a PPA for Mate:
https://launchpad.net/~amanas/+archive/mate-desktop

So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.

And who knows, maybe someone will do a remix that includes this?

It's not a trivial task, though. And it is too soon to say if the Mate
project will be a success, attracte more volunteer developers and
continue to get updated.

Billie Walsh 11-16-2011 03:42 AM

My request to ubuntu developer team

So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.

So, would that be Mubuntu? *<]:oD

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

R S V Reddy 11-16-2011 04:55 AM

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> "As a matter of great curiosity, it is really great to use Ubuntu LTS

> edition, yes we all love it. It is stable and highly supportive in all the

> manners - detecting all the hard ware by itself and a large repo of

> softwares too! But I request for the future editions of LTS, to please never

> integrated with it the Unity desktop, since it is so good right now, in the

> future versions too, like 12.04, I would be happy to have the desktop which

> is right now..."

I am sure many people would share your feelings, but it is /way/ too

late for that. 12.04 /will/ be based on Unity and Unity-2D for

lower-spec hardware.

Oh I see, if I am late. But I am unhappy to know that 12.04 would be with the Unity desktop since I saw many complaints and problems with the Unity desktop, that's why (though I have not used Unity desktop). If Gnome2 is dead, its okay, Gnome3 is there! But I was not sure (before this post) than installing Gnome3 from Unity Desktop would have no impact on the perfectness of the distro being in use...

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What'swrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Rigved Rakshit 11-16-2011 05:55 AM

My request to ubuntu developer team

> "As a matter of great curiosity, it is really great to use Ubuntu LTS

> edition, yes we all love it. It is stable and highly supportive in all the

> manners - detecting all the hard ware by itself and a large repo of

> softwares too! But I request for the future editions of LTS, to please never

> integrated with it the Unity desktop, since it is so good right now, in the

> future versions too, like 12.04, I would be happy to have the desktop which

> is right now..."

I am sure many people would share your feelings, but it is /way/ too

late for that. 12.04 /will/ be based on Unity and Unity-2D for

lower-spec hardware.

Oh I see, if I am late. But I am unhappy to know that 12.04 would be with the Unity desktop since I saw many complaints and problems with the Unity desktop, that's why (though I have not used Unity desktop). If Gnome2 is dead, its okay, Gnome3 is there! But I was not sure (before this post) than installing Gnome3 from Unity Desktop would have no impact on the perfectness of the distro being in use...

I would suggest you to try out the Unity Desktop environment for at least more than a week. Do not judge Unity based on what others are saying. This is because everyone has different tastes. What does not work for some people, might actually work for you.

I have been using Unity for more than 2.5 months. I have not had any problems with it.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

R S V Reddy 11-16-2011 06:56 AM

My request to ubuntu developer team

I would suggest you to try out the Unity Desktop environment for at least more than a week. Do not judge Unity based on what others are saying. This is because everyone has different tastes. What does not work for some people, might actually work for you.

I have been using Unity for more than 2.5 months. I have not had any problems with it.
Well, then I would try on the next download, if this is the case, right now its not possible since LTS is working fine and I would have to reinstall the things.....

Alan Pope 11-16-2011 09:49 AM

My request to ubuntu developer team

So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.

So, would that be Mubuntu? *<]:oD

No, that's something else entirely :)

http://blip.tv/daubers/mumbuntu-3688079

Al.

"Amedee Van Gasse" 11-16-2011 12:12 PM

On Wed, November 16, 2011 02:54, Liam Proven wrote:

> *But* what has happened is that some volunteers forked GNOME 2.32, the
> last version before GNOME 3. It's now called Mate:
> https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Desktop-Environment
>
> Because the name has changed, the package names have changed. So, in
> theory, you can have Mate and GNOME 3 installed at once.
>
> And there is a PPA for Mate:
> https://launchpad.net/~amanas/+archive/mate-desktop
>
> So in theory you could install Mate, remove GNOME 3 and Unity and have
> a modern Ubuntu with the classic-GNOME-style desktop.
>
> And who knows, maybe someone will do a remix that includes this?
>
> It's not a trivial task, though. And it is too soon to say if the Mate
> project will be a success, attracte more volunteer developers and
> continue to get updated.

Mate doesn't have a lot of activity. I'm afraid that it's a stillborn child.