Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   Central authentication and roaming profiles (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/598719-central-authentication-roaming-profiles.html)

Nicolas Kovacs 11-15-2011 09:28 AM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
Hi,

Up until recently, I've been using the "classical" (not to say outdated
:oD) way of configuring roaming profiles, with a combination of NIS and
NFS, on CentOS and Slackware. Works very well, though it does have its
security flaws.


I've decided to move to Ubuntu LTS, and now I'm pondering: what to use
to setup roaming profiles ? Samba or NFS for the server ? NIS or LDAP
for user data ? Something else (what) ? I don't mind if there's a lot of
RTFM to do, as long as the end result is solid and reliable. It's meant
for production environments like town halls and schools.


Any suggestions ?

Cheers from the cold South of France,

Niki
--
Microlinux - Solutions informatiques 100% Linux et logiciels libres
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Nicolas Kovacs 11-22-2011 07:53 AM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
Le 15/11/2011 11:28, Nicolas Kovacs a écrit :

I've decided to move to Ubuntu LTS, and now I'm pondering: what to use
to setup roaming profiles ? Samba or NFS for the server ? NIS or LDAP
for user data ? Something else (what) ? I don't mind if there's a lot of
RTFM to do, as long as the end result is solid and reliable. It's meant
for production environments like town halls and schools.

Any suggestions ?


I'm quite surprised that after a week there is not a single response to
a question that should be common to Ubuntu sysadmins. And it's also
frustrating, since checking this mailing list makes me first wade
through heaps of junk messages like "My request to ubuntu developer
team" or "Liam wants to argue" or similar spam. Poor signal-to-noise
ratio as it seems.


Anyone ?

Niki Kovacs

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Craig White 11-22-2011 11:45 AM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 09:53 +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Le 15/11/2011 11:28, Nicolas Kovacs a écrit :
> > I've decided to move to Ubuntu LTS, and now I'm pondering: what to use
> > to setup roaming profiles ? Samba or NFS for the server ? NIS or LDAP
> > for user data ? Something else (what) ? I don't mind if there's a lot of
> > RTFM to do, as long as the end result is solid and reliable. It's meant
> > for production environments like town halls and schools.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> I'm quite surprised that after a week there is not a single response to
> a question that should be common to Ubuntu sysadmins. And it's also
> frustrating, since checking this mailing list makes me first wade
> through heaps of junk messages like "My request to ubuntu developer
> team" or "Liam wants to argue" or similar spam. Poor signal-to-noise
> ratio as it seems.
----
pretty basic/obvious answers

NIS is ancient technology and offers very little security so LDAP is the
way to go.

NFS if we are talking about Linux/POSIX users with 'roaming' profiles
though in actuality, their profiles don't roam, NFS handles the $HOME
directory mounts.

You can easily configure $HOME automounts in LDAP

Yes, the signal to noise ratio is high on this list.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Dave Woyciesjes 11-22-2011 06:45 PM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
Craig White wrote:

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 09:53 +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

{clipped}
.... And it's also
frustrating, since checking this mailing list makes me first wade
through heaps of junk messages like "My request to ubuntu developer
team" or "Liam wants to argue" or similar spam. Poor signal-to-noise
ratio as it seems.

{clipped}

Yes, the signal to noise ratio is high on this list.

Craig


It's better than it was a few months ago, though....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818
--- AIM - woyciesjes
--- CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech - http://certification.comptia.org/
--- HDI Certified Support Center Analyst - http://www.ThinkHDI.com/
Registered Linux user number 464583

"Computers have lots of memory but no imagination."
"The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back."
- from some guy in the internet.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Colin Law 11-22-2011 07:27 PM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
On 22 November 2011 12:45, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, the signal to noise ratio is high on this list.

I think you meant low. Oh I just made it lower :(

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Dave Woyciesjes 11-22-2011 08:14 PM

Central authentication and roaming profiles
 
Colin Law wrote:

On 22 November 2011 12:45, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:

Yes, the signal to noise ratio is high on this list.


I think you meant low. Oh I just made it lower :(

Colin


Heh heh.. good point. It's the noise to signal which is can get too high.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818
--- AIM - woyciesjes
--- CompTIA A+ Certified IT Tech - http://certification.comptia.org/
--- HDI Certified Support Center Analyst - http://www.ThinkHDI.com/
Registered Linux user number 464583

"Computers have lots of memory but no imagination."
"The problem with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back."
- from some guy in the internet.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:38 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.