Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Python 2.7 for Lucid???

I'm running calibre (self-installed) on Lucid. I have 0.8.24 and it's
telling me that it has an update but installing it requires python
>=2.7.1 and <3.0. I've got python 2.6, and see only 2.6 and 3 in the
repositories. Anybody know how to work this so I can upgrade?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Xandros Pilosa

Na 14. 11. 2011 22:25, Kevin O'Gorman je pisal:

I'm running calibre (self-installed) on Lucid. I have 0.8.24 and it's
telling me that it has an update but installing it requires python

=2.7.1 and<3.0. I've got python 2.6, and see only 2.6 and 3 in the

repositories. Anybody know how to work this so I can upgrade?

In accordance with my lazy nature, I took the easy way from [1]:

<quote>
Binary install
calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its
dependencies...

</quote>

and there it is in:
/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7

But, as I wrote, this is the easy way and there is the price in the form
of redundant packages, bypassing repositories etc.

Regards

Old 11-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Xandros Pilosa

Na 14. 11. 2011 22:25, Kevin O'Gorman je pisal:

I'm running calibre (self-installed) on Lucid. I have 0.8.24 and it's
telling me that it has an update but installing it requires python

=2.7.1 and<3.0. I've got python 2.6, and see only 2.6 and 3 in the

repositories. Anybody know how to work this so I can upgrade?

In accordance with my lazy nature, I took the easy way from [1]:

<quote>
Binary install
calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its
dependencies...

</quote>

and there it is in:
/opt/calibre/lib/python2.7

But, as I wrote, this is the easy way and there is the price in the form
of redundant packages, bypassing repositories etc.

Regards

Sorry for missing reference:

[1] http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 15 November 2011 10:35, Xandros Pilosa <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com>
> In accordance with my lazy nature, I took the easy way from [1]:
> <quote>
> Binary install
> calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its
> dependencies...
> </quote>

You might have more or less success using the Calibre-lucid PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/calibre-lucid

Old 11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 15 November 2011 10:35, Xandros Pilosa <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com>
>> In accordance with my lazy nature, I took the easy way from [1]:
>> <quote>
>> Binary install
>> calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its
>> dependencies...
>> </quote>
>
> You might have more or less success using the Calibre-lucid PPA:
> https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/calibre-lucid

The link shows warnings that the PPA is not being updated, so I'm not
even going to try it.

OTOH, the binary install is working fine.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 06:54:24AM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> > On 15 November 2011 10:35, Xandros Pilosa <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com>
> >> In accordance with my lazy nature, I took the easy way from [1]:
> >> <quote>
> >> Binary install
> >> calibre has a binary install that includes private versions of all its
> >> dependencies...
> >> </quote>
> >
> > You might have more or less success using the Calibre-lucid PPA:
> > https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/calibre-lucid
>
> The link shows warnings that the PPA is not being updated, so I'm not
> even going to try it.
>
> OTOH, the binary install is working fine.

This had better be a single-user system (http://pad.lv/885027).

There's a PPA that provides Python 2.7 for Lucid:
https://launchpad.net/~fkrull/+archive/deadsnakes?field.series_filter=lucid

Marius Gedminas
--
Since this protocol deals with Firewalls there are no real security
considerations.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:54 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 06:54:24AM -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:41 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
>> > On 15 November 2011 10:35, Xandros Pilosa <folivora.pilosa@gmail.com>
>> >
>> > You might have more or less success using the Calibre-lucid PPA:
>> > https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/calibre-lucid
>>
>> The link shows warnings that the PPA is not being updated, so I'm not
>> even going to try it.
>>
>> OTOH, the binary install is working fine.
>
> This had better be a single-user system (http://pad.lv/885027).

It is.

> There's a PPA that provides Python 2.7 for Lucid:
> https://launchpad.net/~fkrull/+archive/deadsnakes?field.series_filter=lucid

Thanks. I'll try it.

> Marius Gedminas
> --
> * Since this protocol deals with Firewalls there are no real security
> * considerations.
> * * * * * * * *-- RFC 3093

Stunning quote!

++ kevin