Old 11-14-2011, 04:30 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

Default Computers and cold temperatures & lm-sensors

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 10:00 -0700, compdoc wrote:
> > We have an old computer in an unheated cabin running cams to record
> >the bears breaking in during the summer and the XC skiers in winter.
> >It has worked fine in temperatures ranging from the high 30s to -20s
> Celcius.
>
> How do you hide the computer from the bears and the skiiers? I have a small
> box I made to record cams, and I'm looking for a good way to keep it
> hidden...

It's just on a built-in shelf. The bears don't care about computers and
are disappointed that there isn't any food there so they leave quickly.
Apparently they hate the smell of Lysol, so there are lots of rags
soaked in that in the windows. The ski people are mostly well meaning
but stupid -- they're just about frozen to death and looking for a place
to warm up. They seldom steal anything and mostly try to hide the fact
that they've broken in. In three years we've had 4 bears (only two
actually inside) and 3 human break-ins with nothing taken except
firewood. Nothing there is worth anything so we're not really worried
if it walks off. The cams are really for recording non-threatening
wildlife; the security aspect is just lagniappe.

--
pongo pan
Mon, 14 Nov 2011 09:29:47 -0800

Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM
CJ Tres

On 11/13/2011 03:56 PM, NoOp wrote:

These indicate that there are:
http://www.lm-sensors.org/ticket/1132
[note the reference to asb100 driver]
http://vbeaud.free.fr/Informatique/Gestion_PCs/Kernel_A7V8X.html
http://vbeaud.free.fr/Informatique/Gestion_PCs/Kernel_A7V8X.html#sensors
again: asb100 module

Many thanks! Most helpful.

asb100 is in the newer kernels already:
On Maverick 10.10:

On Oneric 11.10:

Check lsmod to see if you have the asb100 module loaded:
$ lsmod | grep asb100
If not, load it and then test:

$ sudo modprobe asb100
$ sudo sensors-detect