Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Request to Moderators and others - OT

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:38 AM, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> If you are a mod and posting a message to chastise someone would it be
> possible to state in the subject something to effect of "Moderator Message".
>
> If your not a moderator - let the moderators handle it and stop posting spam
> to the list.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.

I'm only one moderator, and cannot speak for the others. However...

1) It will be extremely rare that I post here *as a moderator*.
Communication is almost always direct to one email address. This
email is my first exception.
2) Moderation is normally applied only to messages that have been
withheld by mailman, and is done through a program (listadmin) that
does not allow fooling with the subject line.
3) A few things per day are marked as possible spam. Every such one I
have looked at *has* been pretty obvious spam, and I have discarded
it.
4) A few things per month have been over-sized, usually because of
attachments. I have rejected these with a message back to the sender.
Some people actually pay for this stuff by the byte, and we have to
be considerate.
5) The rest has been messages from non-subscribed email addresses. A
few have been sincere postings, and I have rejected these with a
message back to the sender. If they are not subscribed, they won't
see posted replies. They can subscribe and re-send, or use an
already-subscribed account if they have one. The rest have been
non-english, obvious spam, wildly off-topic, or otherwise
unintelligible and have been silently dropped.
6) I have had no occasion (yet) to unsubscribe, block or ban anyone.
I'm hoping it stays that way.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 16:38, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> If you are a mod and posting a message to chastise someone would it be
> possible to state in the subject something to effect of "Moderator Message".
>
> If your not a moderator - let the moderators handle it and stop posting spam
> to the list.
>
> Thank you for your consideration.

I am not a mod.

There should never be a reason for a mod or anyone else to chastise
someone. Even when treated with disrespect, we should respond
respectfully. That said, we as a community have to keep a certain
standard and to take it upon ourselves to maintain a constructive
atmosphere. I do not know about what incident you are referring to,
but if someone starts posting OT or unconstructive messages I will
take it upon myself as a community member to let them know that their
behaviour is unwanted. There are community guidelines for this very
purpose, to define what is acceptable and what is not.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Billie Walsh

[...]

Dotan, while I respect your knowledge and helpfulness in most all
situations, it's not your job to deal with off topic posters. You, and
many others, that post endless messages chastising someone for posting
something "you" don't approve of are just adding to the spam on the
list. There are list admins whose job it is to deal with such stuff. Let
them do what they are supposed to do. Want to get the list closed down,
keep doing it. Want the list to be available to help all the noobs, like
me, that need help from time to time, let the admins deal with it and
stop spamming the list.

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Avi Greenbury

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> That said, we as a community have to keep a certain standard and to
> take it upon ourselves to maintain a constructive atmosphere. I do
> not know about what incident you are referring to, but if someone
> starts posting OT or unconstructive messages I will take it upon
> myself as a community member to let them know that their behaviour is
> unwanted.

I would suggest it is more effective to ignore them than to engage them
in discussion. People get less defensive when they're allowed to notice
that what they've said isn't what's expected, and so they feel less
need to defend themselves.

--
Avi

Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Alan Pope

Hi Billie,

On 14/11/11 14:38, Billie Walsh wrote:
> If you are a mod and posting a message to chastise someone would it
be possible to state in the subject something to effect of "Moderator
Message".

If you are not a mod and you'd like to address the moderators then
please feel free to email ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com.

We will _not_ be tagging every mail from moderators with 'Moderator
Message'.

> If your not a moderator - let the moderators handle it and stop
posting spam to the list.

If you're referring to Jared, he _is_ a moderator, as outlined in the
following mail titled "[ADMIN] Welcome new mailing list admins/moderators":-

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-October/252964.html

Cheers,
Al.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 19:36, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net> wrote:
> Dotan, while I respect your knowledge and helpfulness in most all
> situations, it's not your job to deal with off topic posters. You, and many
> others, that post endless messages chastising someone for posting something
> "you" don't approve of are just adding to the spam on the list. There are
> list admins whose job it is to deal with such stuff. Let them do what they
> are supposed to do. Want to get the list closed down, keep doing it. Want
> the list to be available to help all the noobs, like me, that need help from
> time to time, let the admins deal with it and stop spamming the list.

Thank you Billie. I must admit that this past year I have been mroe of
a question asker than a question answerer, though!

I do not believe that I have ever chastised someone for a post. There
is a specific poster who I have contacted in private mail very
civilly, and he responded civilly as well and seems to have been
posting less distractions.

To summarize, comments to infringers are off list and respectful.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com