Old 11-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Liam Proven

Default Install onto USB

Is this possible?

I don't mean to make a LiveUSB stick out of an ISO. I want to put
10.04 onto a USB stick and it needs a ton of updates to bring it to
current, which eats a lot of space on the USB stick.

So I was wondering if you could actually /install/ Ubuntu onto a USB stick.

I have tried, obviously, but the Ubiquity installer won't let you
select a thumbdrive as the destination.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Yes. And it works fine. I have it on a 16GB USB stick.

Gilles.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 November 2011 15:30, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yes. And it works fine. I have it on a 16GB USB stick.

Great! Thanks for the info.

So - how? :¬)

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Gilles Gravier

Take a PC. Stick the disk in it. Boot on the install CD. Install on the
USB stick. Reboot on the USB stick. Run updates. Voila.

Gilles

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Liam Proven

On 14 November 2011 15:47, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Take a PC. Stick the disk in it. Boot on the install CD. Install on the
> USB stick. Reboot on the USB stick. Run updates. Voila.

Hmmm. I am sure that didn't work, last time I tried. I will try again...

Old 11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Richard Owlett