Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 AM
R S V Reddy

Default are docs available in pdf?

HI,

Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf format?
--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Mon, November 14, 2011 08:00, R S V Reddy wrote:
> HI,
>
> Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf format?

Community drive docs? Don't think so. But you can always print them to pdf.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:19 PM
R S V Reddy

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:

> Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf format?

Community drive docs? Don't think so. But you can always print them to pdf.

Yeah, print, I though for offline reading..., but its not there!

Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Matt Johnson

> Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf format?
>
>Community drive docs? Don't think so. But you can always print them to pdf.

Yeah, print, I though for offline reading..., but its not there!

========

'Print to PDF' does not mean actually print out on a physical printer i.e. you don't end up with a piece of paper. You can convert any online docs in whatever format they are (e.g. reading through Firefox) by 'printing them to a pdf' as a sort of virtual printer.

With regards to "it's not there", do you think there's much demand for pdf's? If you convert some docs to pdf, maybe you could post and maintain the ones you find helpful on some webspace somewhere for others to find?

Hope that helps.

--
Matt

Old 11-14-2011, 01:09 PM
R S V Reddy

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@yahoo.com> wrote:

'Print to PDF' does not mean actually print out on a physical printer i.e. you don't end up with a piece of paper. You can convert any online docs in whatever format they are (e.g. reading through Firefox) by 'printing them to a pdf' as a sort of virtual printer.

*Ah well, but how do I use 'Print to PDF'? Should I just use right click ...since there is no option of it in 'File' menu...!
ty.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Colin Watson

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 08:09:43AM -0600, R S V Reddy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:32 AM, Matt Johnson <johnsonmlw@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > 'Print to PDF' does not mean actually print out on a physical printer i.e.
> > you don't end up with a piece of paper. You can convert any online docs in
> > whatever format they are (e.g. reading through Firefox) by 'printing them
> > to a pdf' as a sort of virtual printer.
>
> Ah well, but how do I use 'Print to PDF'? Should I just use right click
> ...since there is no option of it in 'File' menu...!

File -> Print..., select "Print to File", select "Output format: PDF",
and enter the file name.

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 PM
R S V Reddy

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Ah well, but how do I use 'Print to PDF'? Should I just use right click

> ...since there is no option of it in 'File' menu...!

File -> Print..., select "Print to File", select "Output format: PDF",

and enter the file name.
Thanks but should I do it on each page of community driven documentation or in whole could it be done?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Bill Stanley

Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf
format?

Why would you want to do that anyway? Anything from Adobe if full of
security holes and the documents are perfectly readable and printable as is.

Bill Stanley

Old 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 10:47, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
>> * *Are Ubuntu community driven documents available to download in pdf
>> * *format?
>>

> Why would you want to do that anyway? * Anything from Adobe if full of
> security holes and the documents are perfectly readable and printable as is.

I think the OP needs to define "Community Driven Documents" That's a
fairly nebulous term. Does the OP mean HOW-TOs? Or things like guide
books? Or perhaps (what I think the OP means) wiki pages.

IF the OP means "How can I get a PDF dump of the various Wiki pages"
then the OP is probably out of luck in finding that in a single,
cohesive document that can be spit out... though I'm sure there are
programs out there that can mine a wiki and create such a dump that
could be then conveted to PDF.

As to "Why", why not? Can you suggest a better, more widely accepted
portable document format (pun intended) that can be read across
devices and OSs? I create PDFs for that reason... I can throw them on
my iPhone, my eReader, read them on my netbook, laptop, even a tablet.
Can't say the same for other document formats out there beyond plain
text.