Old 11-14-2011, 12:32 AM
Koh Choon Lin

Default 11.10 LiveCD

Hi

I use the LiveCD almost exclusively for my work. Before 11.10 (ie.
11.04 and prior versions), I could use the live system with a 4GB
swapfile on an external drive. The PC has only 1 GiB of RAM. Thus, I
could install 1-2 GiB of software and have browser cache of 1 GiB
without running out of space for each session. On 11.10, it seems
software, cache, temp files, etc.. are not allocated into this
swapfile and instead into RAM _only_. The system would run into "Out
of space" errors once I installed a few software.

Anyone knows how to shift the used memory back to swap?

$ df -h
/cow 496M 496M 0 100% /
udev 489M 4.0K 489M 1% /dev
tmpfs 199M 772K 198M 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 3.8G 695M 3.1G 19% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 668M 668M 0 100% /rofs
tmpfs 496M 52K 496M 1% /tmp
none 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
none 496M 248K 496M 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda1 75G 19G 57G 25% /media/0A3C014A3C01326D

ubuntu@ubuntu:/tmp$

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

> I use the LiveCD almost exclusively for my work. Before 11.10 (ie.
> 11.04 and prior versions), I could use the live system with a 4GB
> swapfile on an external drive. The PC has only 1 GiB of RAM. Thus, I
> could install 1-2 GiB of software and have browser cache of 1 GiB
> without running out of space for each session. On 11.10, it seems
> software, cache, temp files, etc.. are not allocated into this
> swapfile and instead into RAM _only_. The system would run into "Out
> of space" errors once I installed a few software.
>
> Anyone knows how to shift the used memory back to swap?

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/cow overlayfs 496M 261M 236M 53% /
udev devtmpfs 489M 4.0K 489M 1% /dev
tmpfs tmpfs 199M 772K 198M 1% /run
/dev/sdb1 vfat 3.8G 695M 3.1G 19% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 squashfs 668M 668M 0 100% /rofs
tmpfs tmpfs 496M 8.0K 496M 1% /tmp
none tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
none tmpfs 496M 200K 496M 1% /run/shm
/dev/sda1 fuseblk 75G 19G 56G 25% /media/0A3C014A3C01326D

On further experimenting, I found that its the /cow on overlayfs thats
not moving into swap when its full. Anyone got any idea?

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin