Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
CJ Tres

Default Computers and cold temperatures & lm-sensors

I'm in the US, Midwest where temps will be as low as zero C for extended
periods and below zero for days at a time.

Humidity and static electricity are things I hadn't considered.
Maybe I should run a small humidifier nearby?

I had planned on buying some sort of space heater so I can use the wood
shop in the garage even when it's very cold but I'm guessing it won't be
enough to cause any problems with temp variations as far as the machine
goes. I suppose it's more likely to cause more dryness/static.

It seems that along with being drastically dry, the big concern would be
the hard disk itself and it's lubrication with cycles of spinning up and
down.

So as for thermostatic controls, I've installed lm-sensors and ran
sensors-detect but the only sensor detected is WInbond W83697HF/F/HG
Super IO sensors and also reports:

SPD EEPROM (confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip.)

I also installed the gnome sensor applet which then shows temps for both
HDs in the machine.

Xsensors shows only:
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +33.0 C (crit +100.0C)

So does this mean that the mobo (ASUS A7V8X-MX SE) has no sensors for
other devices?

Sensors-detect says:

Module cpuid loaded successfully.
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595... No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors... No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors... No
AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 10h thermal sensors... No