Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Dave Stevens

Default where is my workplace switcher on 11.10?

I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom
panel using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it
should work but I can't see any change. Am I missing something?

Dave

--
It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the
bumblebee that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be

-- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
Countervailing Power

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 AM
"G. "

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 5:52 AM, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
> using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work but
> I can't see any change. Am I missing something?
>
> Dave
>

> --
> It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the bumblebee
> that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be true...life among
> bumblebees must bear a remarkable resemblance to life in the United States.
>
> -- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
> Countervailing Power

I've got a workplace switcher in the Launchpad. There's a bottom
panel in 11.10? You can add to a panel? I think neither of these are
possible starting with 11.04. If they are I'd like to know how.

garyk

Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting "G. " <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com>:

I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work but
I can't see any change. Am I missing something?

Dave

--
It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the bumblebee
that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be true...life among
bumblebees must bear a remarkable resemblance to life in the United States.

-- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
Countervailing Power

I've got a workplace switcher in the Launchpad. There's a bottom
panel in 11.10? You can add to a panel? I think neither of these are
possible starting with 11.04. If they are I'd like to know how.

garyk

point to the panel and hold down ALT while right-clicking, does that
work? Should see a menu with add to panel on it.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:17 AM
Colin Law

On 13 November 2011 04:52, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
> using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work but
> I can't see any change. Am I missing something?

You seemed to have gained something rather than missing it. There is
no bottom panel on 11.10 (assuming you are using the standard Unity
interface).

Colin

Old 11-13-2011, 07:23 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:

I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work but
I can't see any change. Am I missing something?

You seemed to have gained something rather than missing it. There is
no bottom panel on 11.10 (assuming you are using the standard Unity
interface).

no, at login screen I'm using classic

Colin

Old 11-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Colin Law

On 13 November 2011 08:23, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:
>
>> On 13 November 2011 04:52, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
>>> using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work
>>> but
>>> I can't see any change. Am I missing something?
>>
>> You seemed to have gained something rather than missing it. *There is
>> no bottom panel on 11.10 (assuming you are using the standard Unity
>> interface).
>
> no, at login screen I'm using classic

In that case you are not using 11.10. In a terminal do
lsb_release -a
and see what it says. I suspect it is 11.04 if you have the choice of
Classic or Unity.

Colin

--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 11-13-2011, 08:43 AM
Dave Stevens

Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:

I've tried to install the workplace switcher applet on the bottom panel
using alt-right-click and "add to panel." It LOOKS as if it should work
but
I can't see any change. Am I missing something?

You seemed to have gained something rather than missing it. *There is
no bottom panel on 11.10 (assuming you are using the standard Unity
interface).

no, at login screen I'm using classic

In that case you are not using 11.10. In a terminal do
lsb_release -a
and see what it says. I suspect it is 11.04 if you have the choice of
Classic or Unity.

Colin

like this:

$ lsb_release -a
LSB
Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 11.10
Codename: oneiric

Dave

Colin

Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

[...]

nop, it does not work for me!
Freddy
*

Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Colin Law

On 13 November 2011 09:43, Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:
> $ lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:
> *core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release: * * * *11.10
> Codename: * * * oneiric

Strange, you are using 11.10 (as you said) yet at the login screen you
have a choice of 'Classic'. I only have Unity and Unity-2d. Have you
installed one of the alternative GUIs? Gnome Fallback or whatever it
is called for example?

Colin