Old 11-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Peng Yu

Default Where is netcdf.h?

Hi,

I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing. Is
there a package that has this file?

Peng

Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Nils Kassube

Peng Yu wrote:
> I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing. Is
> there a package that has this file?

Use apt-file instead:

~/ > apt-file search netcdf.h
libgdal-doc: /usr/share/doc/libgdal-doc/gdal/frmt_netcdf.html
libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf4_netcdf.h
libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/netcdf.h
libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.h
libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.hh
libvtk5-dev: /usr/include/vtk-5.2/vtknetcdf/netcdf.h
netcdf-doc: /usr/share/doc/netcdf-doc/netcdf.html

That was on a 10.04 machine - and it reveals the packages "libhdf4-dev",
"libnetcdf-dev" and "libvtk5-dev" but I have no idea which one is more
suitable for you.

Nils

Old 11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Peng Yu

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Peng Yu wrote:
>> I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing. Is
>> there a package that has this file?
>
> Use apt-file instead:
>
> ~/ > apt-file search netcdf.h
> libgdal-doc: /usr/share/doc/libgdal-doc/gdal/frmt_netcdf.html
> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf4_netcdf.h
> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/netcdf.h
> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.h
> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.hh
> libvtk5-dev: /usr/include/vtk-5.2/vtknetcdf/netcdf.h
> netcdf-doc: /usr/share/doc/netcdf-doc/netcdf.html
>
> That was on a 10.04 machine - and it reveals the packages "libhdf4-dev",
> "libnetcdf-dev" and "libvtk5-dev" but I have no idea which one is more
> suitable for you.

The following is from the man page of the two commands. What is APT
cache, where the cache is? Does apt-file search for all the APT
packages available on line for the given version of OS? Does it search
for newer OS versions as well?

apt-cache - query the APT cache
apt-file - APT package searching utility -- command-line interface

Peng

Old 11-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Nils Kassube

Peng Yu wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Peng Yu wrote:
> >> I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing.
> >> Is there a package that has this file?
> >
> > Use apt-file instead:
>
> The following is from the man page of the two commands. What is APT
> cache, where the cache is? Does apt-file search for all the APT
> packages available on line for the given version of OS? Does it
> search for newer OS versions as well?
>
> apt-cache - query the APT cache
> apt-file - APT package searching utility -- command-line interface

To my understanding, apt-cache only searches in the package description
in the cache - that is what you download with the "apt-get update"
command. And apt-file downloads a list of the files contained in all
packages, no matter if they are installed or not. It doesn't search
online and only from the repositories in use by your current installed
Ubuntu version. If you want to search online, go to
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/>. There you can also search for other
Ubuntu versions.

Nils

Old 11-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 16:46, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Peng Yu wrote:
>>> I use apt-cache search to look for netcdf.h. But I find nothing. Is
>>> there a package that has this file?
>>
>> Use apt-file instead:
>>
>> ~/ > apt-file search netcdf.h
>> libgdal-doc: /usr/share/doc/libgdal-doc/gdal/frmt_netcdf.html
>> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
>> libhdf4-alt-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf4_netcdf.h
>> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/hdf2netcdf.h
>> libhdf4-dev: /usr/include/hdf/netcdf.h
>> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.h
>> libnetcdf-dev: /usr/include/netcdf.hh
>> libvtk5-dev: /usr/include/vtk-5.2/vtknetcdf/netcdf.h
>> netcdf-doc: /usr/share/doc/netcdf-doc/netcdf.html
>>
>> That was on a 10.04 machine - and it reveals the packages "libhdf4-dev",
>> "libnetcdf-dev" and "libvtk5-dev" but I have no idea which one is more
>> suitable for you.
>
> The following is from the man page of the two commands. What is APT
> cache, where the cache is? Does apt-file search for all the APT
> packages available on line for the given version of OS? Does it search
> for newer OS versions as well?
>
> apt-cache - query the APT cache
> apt-file - APT package searching utility -- command-line interface

I believe that apt-cache search only searches package names and
descriptions, it does not know about files within packages. It will
find packages that that are in the repositories defined in the sources
whether they have been downloaded or not. apt-file tells you which
packages a file is contained in.

Colin