Old 11-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Douglas Pollard

Default Hover over music icon does not play

Hi all. Am using Ubuntu 11.10 and genome classic. In!0.04 I could hover
the courser over a music file in my music folder and it would play
without opening up a player on the desktop.. It was pretty handy when
making video's to be able to do that to remember what a tune sounds like
before loading into the editor.
Is this no longer available or can I enable it in some way? Thanks for
any help. Doug

Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 PM
CJ Tres

Hi all. Am using Ubuntu 11.10 and genome classic. In!0.04 I could
hover the courser over a music file in my music folder and it would
play without opening up a player on the desktop.. It was pretty handy
when making video's to be able to do that to remember what a tune
sounds like before loading into the editor.
Is this no longer available or can I enable it in some way? Thanks
for any help. Doug

Please help. Doug

It's probably not much help but recently my Natty installation has
begun the same behavior.
I can't really determine when it happened or even all programs that were
installed since it was last working.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Douglas Pollard

Hi all. Am using Ubuntu 11.10 and genome classic. In!0.04 I could
hover the courser over a music file in my music folder and it would
play without opening up a player on the desktop.. It was pretty handy
when making video's to be able to do that to remember what a tune
sounds like before loading into the editor.
Is this no longer available or can I enable it in some way? Thanks
for any help. Doug

Please help. Doug

It's probably not much help but recently my Natty installation has
begun the same behavior.
I can't really determine when it happened or even all programs that
were installed since it was last working.

Ok, so this sounds like a malfunction of some kind which means it can
likely be fixed. I thought maybe it is the result a new function of
Ubuntu 11.10. thanks. Maybe somebody here can help both of us. Doug

Old 11-12-2011, 07:35 AM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 14:10, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi all. *Am using Ubuntu 11.10 and genome classic. In!0.04 I could hover the
> courser over a music file in my music folder and it would play without
> opening up a player on the desktop.. It was pretty handy when making video's
> to be able to do that to remember what a tune sounds like before loading
> into the editor.
> Is this no longer available or can I enable it in some way? * Thanks for any
> help. * * * Doug

Google leads me to believe that this has been removed from Gnome 3.
It is suggested that installing gnome-sushi will provide this feature,
though I have not tried it and google suggests it does not work for
all. See
http://askubuntu.com/questions/67132/how-can-i-play-songs-by-just-hovering-the-mouse-on-them

Colin

Old 11-14-2011, 01:08 PM
CJ Tres

Hi all. Am using Ubuntu 11.10 and genome classic. In!0.04 I could
hover the courser over a music file in my music folder and it would
play without opening up a player on the desktop.. It was pretty handy
when making video's to be able to do that to remember what a tune
sounds like before loading into the editor.
Is this no longer available or can I enable it in some way? Thanks
for any help. Doug

Please help. Doug

It's probably not much help but recently my Natty installation has
begun the same behavior.
I can't really determine when it happened or even all programs that
were installed since it was last working.

Ok, so this sounds like a malfunction of some kind which means it can
likely be fixed. I thought maybe it is the result a new function of
Ubuntu 11.10. thanks. Maybe somebody here can help both of us. Doug

Doug, did you perhaps install Thunar?
I did a week or so ago and then removed it yesterday. This morning I
found the hover/play functionality had returned.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 08:08:24 -0600
CJ Tres wrote:

> Doug, did you perhaps install Thunar?
> I did a week or so ago and then removed it yesterday. This morning I
> found the hover/play functionality had returned.

When I try to remove Thunar I am told it also wants to remove xfce4* and
xubuntu-desktop, which I use. How do I just remove Thunar so that I can
have the full functionality of nautilus?

This seems to be yet another case of dependencies being wrongly set up.
Yes, there's a case for saying that xubuntu-desktop might require Thunar,
if that's how the developers want it, but why should !Thunar require
!xubuntu-desktop?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM
James Tappin

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:17:43 +0000
R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> wrote:

RK> When I try to remove Thunar I am told it also wants to remove xfce4*
RK> and xubuntu-desktop, which I use. How do I just remove Thunar so
RK> that I can have the full functionality of nautilus?
RK>
RK> This seems to be yet another case of dependencies being wrongly set
RK> up. Yes, there's a case for saying that xubuntu-desktop might
RK> require Thunar, if that's how the developers want it, but why should
RK> !Thunar require !xubuntu-desktop?

xfce and xubuntu-desktop are meta-packages which are used to pull in all
the components of xfce4. Thus if you remove one of those components,
then that meta-package is not complete and so should be removed.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:54:48 +0000
James Tappin wrote:

> xfce and xubuntu-desktop are meta-packages which are used to pull in all
> the components of xfce4. Thus if you remove one of those components,
> then that meta-package is not complete and so should be removed.

By xfce4* I meant to imply more than just xfce4. The other packages are
not meta packages, I think.

- Richard.