Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Shawn Pringle

Default Multilingual support

I just installed Ubuntu. I doubted that setting LANG and LANGUAGE in
the .profile would be enough to get the language messages working in the
GUI. However, it did work -- for some of the Ubuntu menu items. I
don't want to globally change the language. One user one language
another user another. OpenOffice continues in English on the account
where Spanish is set for the language. In looking at the openoffice
website, it seems to me that OpenOffice's language is fixed when they
build it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps someone knows
something I don't on open office's locale support. Is there something I
can do to have OpenOffice use English and Spanish according to what user
is logged in?

Shawn Pringle
PGP public key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:05:44 -0300
Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed Ubuntu. I doubted that setting LANG and LANGUAGE in
> the .profile would be enough to get the language messages working in
> the GUI. However, it did work -- for some of the Ubuntu menu items.
> I don't want to globally change the language. One user one language
> another user another. OpenOffice continues in English on the account
> where Spanish is set for the language. In looking at the openoffice
> website, it seems to me that OpenOffice's language is fixed when they
> build it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps someone knows
> something I don't on open office's locale support. Is there
> something I can do to have OpenOffice use English and Spanish
> according to what user is logged in?

have a look at the ~/.dmrc files of the users, it should be possible to
define the language used for a session in there.

ciao
oli

Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM
Shawn Pringle

On 11/11/2011 11:11 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:05:44 -0300
> Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> build it. Please correct me if I am wrong. Perhaps someone knows
>> something I don't on open office's locale support. Is there
>> something I can do to have OpenOffice use English and Spanish
>> according to what user is logged in?
>
> have a look at the ~/.dmrc files of the users, it should be possible to
> define the language used for a session in there.
>
> ciao
> oli

Is this file supposed to exist? It doesn't. How do I define the
session language in there?

Shawn Pringle

PGP public key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net

Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:15:15 -0300
Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is this file supposed to exist? It doesn't. How do I define the
> session language in there?

have a look at:
http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/stable/configuration.html.en#userconfig

it also applies to lightdm or kdm, iirc the content is based on a
freedesktop specification ...

ciao
oli

Old 11-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 14:15, Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 11:11 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> hi,
>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 11:05:44 -0300
>> Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> build it. *Please correct me if I am wrong. *Perhaps someone knows
>>> something I don't on open office's locale support. *Is there
>>> something I can do to have OpenOffice use English and Spanish
>>> according to what user is logged in?
>>
>> have a look at the ~/.dmrc files of the users, it should be possible to
>> define the language used for a session in there.
>>
>> ciao
>> * * * oli
>>

> Is this file supposed to exist? *It doesn't. *How do I define the
> session language in there?

Are you sure it does not exist? As it starts with dot it will be
hidden in nautilus unless you do View > Show Hidden Files (or Ctrl+H)
Mine contains

[Desktop]
Session=ubuntu-2d
Language=en_GB.utf8
Layout=gb
Langlist=en_GB:en
LCMess=en_GB.UTF-8

Colin

Old 11-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Shawn Pringle

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Shawn Pringle

On 11/11/2011 11:34 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 11 November 2011 14:15, Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 11/11/2011 11:11 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>> hi,

>>> have a look at the ~/.dmrc files of the users, it should be possible to
>>> define the language used for a session in there.
>>>
>>> ciao
>>> oli
>>>

>> Is this file supposed to exist? It doesn't. How do I define the
>> session language in there?
>
> Are you sure it does not exist? As it starts with dot it will be
> hidden in nautilus unless you do View > Show Hidden Files (or Ctrl+H)
> Mine contains
>
> [Desktop]
> Session=ubuntu-2d
> Language=en_GB.utf8
> Layout=gb
> Langlist=en_GB:en
> LCMess=en_GB.UTF-8
>
> Colin

I use the command line with 'ls'. I am sure. Do you notice any Non-US
spellings in Open Office? If you create another user and set it for US
spellings are they American?

In my experience, there doesn't seem to be a difference after toasting
the said file. 'About Gnome' continues to use Spanish. It must be
(correctly) using the LANG environment variable. Open Office is just
locale settings dumb. Using neither the environment nor the Gnome
specific file. For a multilingual office it is a matter of having two
copies of Open Office for now.

Shawn Pringle
- --
PGP public key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net

Old 11-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 14:05, Shawn Pringle <shawn.pringle@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu. *I doubted that setting LANG and LANGUAGE in
> the .profile would be enough to get the language messages working in the
> GUI. *However, it did work -- for some of the Ubuntu menu items. *I
> don't want to globally change the language. *One user one language
> another user another. *OpenOffice continues in English on the account
> where Spanish is set for the language. *In looking at the openoffice
> website, it seems to me that OpenOffice's language is fixed when they
> build it. *Please correct me if I am wrong. *Perhaps someone knows
> something I don't on open office's locale support. *Is there something I
> can do to have OpenOffice use English and Spanish according to what user
> is logged in?

I can't try it as I have moved to LibreOffice, but a google search
suggested you might find something useful in Tools -> Options ->
Language Settings -> Language -> User interface.

Colin

Old 11-12-2011, 03:04 AM
Mike Kupfer

Shawn Pringle wrote:

> OpenOffice continues in English on the account
> where Spanish is set for the language.

Do you have the Spanish localization package installed? (I believe
it'll be libreoffice-|l10n-es or openoffice-|l10n-es, depending on which
release of Ubuntu you're using.)

Here's the package description for openoffice-|l10n-es for Maverick:

This package contains the localization of OpenOffice.org in
Spanish.
It contains the user interface, the templates and the autotext features.
(please note that not all this is available for all possible languages).
You can switch user interface language using the locales system.

Spelling dictionaries, hyphenation patterns, thesauri and help are not
included in this package. There are some available in separate packages
(myspell-*, openoffice.org-hyphenation-*, openoffice.org-thesaurus-*,
openoffice.org-help-*)

If you just want to be able to spellcheck etc. in other languages, you can
install extra dictionaries/hyphenation patterns/thesauri independently of
the language packs.

mike

Old 11-15-2011, 03:42 AM
Shawn Pringle

On 12/11/2011 1:04 AM, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> Shawn Pringle wrote:
>
>> OpenOffice continues in English on the account
>> where Spanish is set for the language.
>
> Do you have the Spanish localization package installed? (I believe
> it'll be libreoffice-|l10n-es or openoffice-|l10n-es, depending on which
> release of Ubuntu you're using.)
>
> Here's the package description for openoffice-|l10n-es for Maverick:
>
> This package contains the localization of OpenOffice.org in
> Spanish.
> It contains the user interface, the templates and the autotext features.
> (please note that not all this is available for all possible languages).
> You can switch user interface language using the locales system.
>
> Spelling dictionaries, hyphenation patterns, thesauri and help are not
> included in this package. There are some available in separate packages
> (myspell-*, openoffice.org-hyphenation-*, openoffice.org-thesaurus-*,
> openoffice.org-help-*)
>
> If you just want to be able to spellcheck etc. in other languages, you can
> install extra dictionaries/hyphenation patterns/thesauri independently of
> the language packs.
>
> mike

I would like to thank you for your help. I have not been able to try it
for this computer is offline and getting the right packages is more
trying than expected.

Shawn Pringle
PGP public key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net