Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

Default Desktop blogging software (Was: Just Installed Debian Linux)

On 11-11-11 04:53, Douglas Saylor wrote:
*snip blog post about Unity, Debian and Apple*

It's people like you that will be responsible if Ubuntu decides to shut
down this mailing list.

I will take your blog post as an opportunity to twist it into a
technical question, so that it once again fits the goals of the ML.

Apparently you want to write about Ubuntu, but you aren't sure where and
how you can do that. I suggest that you get a free account at Wordpress,
Blogger, Tumblr or one of the many other blogging platforms. Nowadays
you can even use Google Plus as a blogging platform, although it's still
a bit limited if you want complex formatting, multiple links and
multiple images. On the other hand you get much more interaction on G+
than you get on a blog. You can always do both: write a blogpost on
Wordpress, Blogger, Tumblr,... and share the link on G+, Twitter,
Facebook,... and why not, perhaps even this Ubuntu mailing list.

If you take a look in the Ubuntu Software Center, you will find some
programs that will help you to create blog posts from the desktop, if
you find that more convenient than in a browser:

* gnome-blog
* drivel
* lekhonee
* qtm
* blogilo
* ...

HTH, HAND
(Hope This Helps, Have A Nice Day)

--
Amedee

Old 11-11-2011, 02:14 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 14:38:19 +0100
Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:

> It's people like you that will be responsible if Ubuntu decides to
> shut down this mailing list.

Let's be honest about this; it will be people like Mark Shuttleworth.

There is no, "Ubuntu," which can decide, only the sabdfl.

In fact, it will /be/ Mark Shuttleworth, just as he is the single and
only /real/ reason for the shutdown of Sounder. The fat is already in
the fire on this list, it is merely a matter of time.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Alan Pope

It's people like you that will be responsible if Ubuntu decides to
shut down this mailing list.

Let's be honest about this; it will be people like Mark Shuttleworth.

There is no, "Ubuntu," which can decide, only the sabdfl.

In fact, it will /be/ Mark Shuttleworth, just as he is the single and
only /real/ reason for the shutdown of Sounder. The fat is already in
the fire on this list, it is merely a matter of time.

Let's not start that all over again.

Al.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
"compdoc"

>In fact, it will /be/ Mark Shuttleworth, just as he is the single and
>only /real/ reason for the shutdown of Sounder. The fat is already in
>the fire on this list, it is merely a matter of time.

I think shutting down a main line of support would be a worse mistake than
going with Unity. At some point enough people are going to hate Ubuntu that
it fails.

Steve Jobs had it right - it's all about the interface. That's where the
love has to be invested.

Somehow, it seems to me that the people who created Unity must not actually
be using it...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

In fact, it will /be/ Mark Shuttleworth, just as he is the single and
only /real/ reason for the shutdown of Sounder. The fat is already in
the fire on this list, it is merely a matter of time.

I think shutting down a main line of support would be a worse mistake than
going with Unity. At some point enough people are going to hate Ubuntu that
it fails.

Ubuntu-users is not really a main line of support. The forums and the
LoCo's get an order of magnitude more traffic. I'd be really surprised
if there were more than 5K users subscribed to this list. With >90% lurkers.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Liam Proven

On 11 November 2011 17:01, Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> On 11-11-11 17:01, compdoc wrote:
>>>
>>> In fact, it will /be/ Mark Shuttleworth, just as he is the single and
>>> only /real/ reason for the shutdown of Sounder. *The fat is already in
>>> the fire on this list, it is merely a matter of time.
>>
>> I think shutting down a main line of support would be a worse mistake than
>> going with Unity. At some point enough people are going to hate Ubuntu
>> that
>> it fails.
>
> Ubuntu-users is not really a main line of support. The forums and the LoCo's
> get an order of magnitude more traffic. I'd be really surprised if there
> were more than 5K users subscribed to this list. With >90% lurkers.

Which is yet another reason why it's time that /someone/ came up with
a good unified web forum that is also accessible via email and NNTP.

As per some recent comments on Twitter, e.g.
@jimgaynor Jim Gaynor
Why does it feel like every social media platform eventually tries to
recreate UseNet/NNTP?

And indeed:
@gnomon Benjamin Zanin
I feel about iTunes vs. CDs as I do about Twitter vs. IRC, Facebook
vs. email, web apps vs. HTML documents, forums vs. mailing
lists/NNTP...

Sadly I have the programming skills of a 3-day-old kitten, but surely,
it's not beyond the wit of man to create a threaded online discussion
system that can be accessed smoothly and well by multiple clients?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:08 PM
"compdoc"

>Ubuntu-users is not really a main line of support. The forums and the
>LoCo's get an order of magnitude more traffic. I'd be really surprised
>if there were more than 5K users subscribed to this list. With >90%
lurkers.

LoCo's ?

Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 18:01:14 +0100
Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> Ubuntu-users is not really a main line of support. The forums and the
> LoCo's get an order of magnitude more traffic.

and dont forget askubuntu.com where you even get rewards in form of
votes from others for the usefulness of your answer

ciao
oli

Old 11-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Oliver Grawert