-   -   Just Installed Debian Linux (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/596984-just-installed-debian-linux.html)

Douglas Saylor 11-11-2011 02:53 AM

Just Installed Debian Linux

After some research & feedback from here & elsewhere, I decided to give Debian Stable another try. I used Debian once before, years ago & at the time Debian seemed difficult to configure & software was way behind the times. I don't know if I'm just getting older & more cranky, but I*think*I'd rather have older but stable & "just works". For now, I'll have the option to boot into either Debian or Ubuntu. I've used Ubuntu for years, but this Unity is killing me. Maybe Debian will be a better fit for me. If so, I'll shrink my Ubuntu partition or, maybe even delete the partition. If not, vise-versa ...Linux does give you options.

I've put my time in with Unity as my main OS ...I'm not a fan. I tried to like Unity. At this point, instead of seeming "dated" I'm betting Debian is going to seem more like the old Ubuntu I once loved where as Unity is just frustrating. I*wanted*to like Unity. I appreciate the*concept*of one OS for phones, tablets & computers. Regretfully, Unity has only taught me to appreciate how great my iPhone works.

For the same reason Canonical wants to be on multiple devices, I could see my next computer purchase being a Mac. I found Unity ...while pretty... was also cumbersome, poorly executed, non-intuitive, buggy &very*frustrating.*Meanwhile*iOS is*so*polished, so easy, so intuitive & yesvery*pretty.*If*Unity ever makes it to phones/tablets, I'm sure I'll give it a good look-see on those devices. I must admit though, it'll take a*lot*for me to switch from iOS. While I "prefer" my Linux just work, I*demand*my phone "just works". Anyway, back to configuring the new OS.

Craig White 11-11-2011 03:00 AM

On Thu, 2011-11-10 at 22:53 -0500, Douglas Saylor wrote:
> After some research & feedback from here & elsewhere, I decided to
> give Debian Stable another try. I used Debian once before, years ago &
> at the time Debian seemed difficult to configure & software was way
> behind the times. I don't know if I'm just getting older & more
> cranky, but I think I'd rather have older but stable & "just works".
> For now, I'll have the option to boot into either Debian or Ubuntu.
> I've used Ubuntu for years, but this Unity is killing me. Maybe Debian
> will be a better fit for me. If so, I'll shrink my Ubuntu partition
> or, maybe even delete the partition. If not, vise-versa ...Linux does
> give you options.
>
> I've put my time in with Unity as my main OS ...I'm not a fan. I tried
> to like Unity. At this point, instead of seeming "dated" I'm betting
> Debian is going to seem more like the old Ubuntu I once loved where as
> Unity is just frustrating. I wanted to like Unity. I appreciate
> the concept of one OS for phones, tablets & computers. Regretfully,
> Unity has only taught me to appreciate how great my iPhone works.
>
> For the same reason Canonical wants to be on multiple devices, I could
> see my next computer purchase being a Mac. I found Unity ...while
> pretty... was also cumbersome, poorly executed, non-intuitive, buggy
> &very frustrating. Meanwhile iOS is so polished, so easy, so intuitive
> & yesvery pretty. If Unity ever makes it to phones/tablets, I'm sure
> I'll give it a good look-see on those devices. I must admit though,
> it'll take a lot for me to switch from iOS. While I "prefer" my Linux
> just work, I demand my phone "just works". Anyway, back to configuring
> the new OS.
----
wasn't it you that said goodbye last week?

So don't use Unity. Install KDE

FWIW - Apple is getting a lot of griping about Lion doing pretty much
the same thing (OS convergence) as did Microsoft for their Windows 8
preview.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Nicolas Kovacs 11-11-2011 05:24 AM