Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default Just Installed Debian Linux

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 02:23:56PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 11/11/11 14:00, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> >
> >Can anyone point me to a decent set of notes showing how I can do easily
> >in Unity all the things I could easily do in Gnome 2. Thanks.
> >

> This depends on what things you did easily in GNOME 2.
>
> However how about:-
>
> http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity
>
> Which contains _loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity.

That site baffles me. Despite the title at the top of the page the
"_loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity" have nothing to do
with Unity, Ubuntu, or even computers.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 11/11/2011 12:04 PM, Robert Holtzman wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 02:23:56PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:

On 11/11/11 14:00, Chris Jeffries wrote:

Can anyone point me to a decent set of notes showing how I can do easily
in Unity all the things I could easily do in Gnome 2. Thanks.

This depends on what things you did easily in GNOME 2.

However how about:-

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity

Which contains _loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity.

That site baffles me. Despite the title at the top of the page the
"_loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity" have nothing to do
with Unity, Ubuntu, or even computers.

Are you sure you are ending up in the right place? What title do you
see? When I go there the first thing is jorge's stompbox.

I clicked on a number links on that page and all of them took me to a
page that contained Unity info.

Regards, Jim

Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
rikona

Hello Alan,

Friday, November 11, 2011, 6:23:56 AM, Alan wrote:

> On 11/11/11 14:00, Chris Jeffries wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a decent set of notes showing how I can do easily
>> in Unity all the things I could easily do in Gnome 2. Thanks.
>>

> This depends on what things you did easily in GNOME 2.

> However how about:-

> http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity

> Which contains _loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity.

Hmmm... that seems to have 171 links to all kinds of stuff - making
money at home, stuff in other languages, etc, but not Unity. I did
look at other parts of the blog, and there is Ubuntu stuff there, but
it seems oriented to developers. It did have a nice picture of you,
though - I can see why you like the site. :-)

I, also, would like to see a place that shows, very specifically,
preferably with examples, exactly why and how Unity is MORE productive
than older desktops. The above is clearly not that place. If someone
can point me to such a site, I would appreciate it.

As a side note, such a site would go a long way toward getting
rid of all the complaints about Unity.

--

rikona

Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 20:58, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Hello Alan,
>
> Friday, November 11, 2011, 6:23:56 AM, Alan wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/11 14:00, Chris Jeffries wrote:
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to a decent set of notes showing how I can do easily
>>> in Unity all the things I could easily do in Gnome 2. Thanks.
>>>

>> This depends on what things you did easily in GNOME 2.
>
>> However how about:-
>
>> http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity
>
>> Which contains _loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity.
>
> Hmmm... that seems to have 171 links to all kinds of stuff - making
> money at home, stuff in other languages, etc, but not Unity. I did
> look at other parts of the blog, and there is Ubuntu stuff there, but
> it seems oriented to developers. It did have a nice picture of you,
> though - I can see why you like the site. :-)

Very strange, different people seem to be seeing different pages for
some reason. I see a page headed Joge's stompbox and The Power User's
Guide to Unity, then within the body the first link is Tips and Tricks
for Unity (http://askubuntu.com/questions/36274/tips-and-tricks-for-unity)
and then progresses to a link to the official Unity homepage and then
on through loads of unity related links.

Is there a dns issue with castrojo.tumblr.com?

Colin

Old 11-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Kaj Haulrich

[...]

Hmm....maybe an explanation:

www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

Kaj Haulrich
--
--- Sent from a 100% Microsoft-free computer---
--------- Running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 ---------

Old 11-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Colin Law

On 11 November 2011 21:45, Kaj Haulrich <kaj.haulrich@adslhome.dk> wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 10:14 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>> Is there a dns issue with castrojo.tumblr.com?
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Hmm....maybe an explanation:
>
> www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2011/november/malware_110911/DNS-changer-malware.pdf

I would have thought it unlikely that would be affecting many on this
list, who are presumably mostly using ubuntu.

Colin

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 PM
"compdoc"

>Is there a dns issue with castrojo.tumblr.com?

My first trip that url turned up a page of unrelated stuff, but now I see
the The Power User's Guide to Unity.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:42 AM
rikona

Hello Colin,

Friday, November 11, 2011, 1:14:20 PM, Colin wrote:

> On 11 November 2011 20:58, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>> Hello Alan,
>>
>> Friday, November 11, 2011, 6:23:56 AM, Alan wrote:

>>> This depends on what things you did easily in GNOME 2.
>>
>>> However how about:-
>>
>>> http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795149014/the-power-users-guide-to-unity
>>
>>> Which contains _loads_ of links to guides and how-to's about unity.
>>
>> Hmmm... that seems to have 171 links to all kinds of stuff - making
>> money at home, stuff in other languages, etc, but not Unity. I did
>> look at other parts of the blog, and there is Ubuntu stuff there, but
>> it seems oriented to developers. It did have a nice picture of you,
>> though - I can see why you like the site. :-)

> Very strange, different people seem to be seeing different pages for
> some reason. I see a page headed Joge's stompbox and The Power User's
> Guide to Unity, then within the body the first link is Tips and Tricks
> for Unity
> (http://askubuntu.com/questions/36274/tips-and-tricks-for-unity)
> and then progresses to a link to the official Unity homepage and then
> on through loads of unity related links.

Aha - that site does have some relevant info. Off to the side there's
an item asking 'what's the advantage of Unity over Gnome 2.'
Interesting question I'd like to know the answer to. But -
unfortunately the topic is 'closed' with no content. Hmmm... maybe
there isn't any advantage? :-))

--

rikona

Old 11-12-2011, 03:45 AM
rikona

Hello compdoc,

Friday, November 11, 2011, 1:57:52 PM, compdoc wrote:

>>Is there a dns issue with castrojo.tumblr.com?

> My first trip that url turned up a page of unrelated stuff, but now
> I see the The Power User's Guide to Unity.

Also tried it again, this time with js enabled - PUGU does show, but
it's just a copy of
http://askubuntu.com/questions/36274/tips-and-tricks-for-unity and
there's actually more stuff/links at that site.

It's a js issue... no need to call the FBI... :-)

--

rikona

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Colin Law

On 12 November 2011 04:42, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Aha - that site does have some relevant info. Off to the side there's
> an item asking 'what's the advantage of Unity over Gnome 2.'
> Interesting question I'd like to know the answer to. But -
> unfortunately the topic is 'closed' with no content. Hmmm... maybe
> there isn't any advantage? :-))

The advantage is that Gnome 2 is no longer being developed, so Ubuntu
cannot continue to use it.

Colin