Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Chris Lumens

Default new UI stuff - PUSHED!

Since I didn't hear any cries of anguish, I figured no one had any
complains with the new UI stuff I'd previewed on here and just went
ahead and pushed it. It's all on a new branch named "newui", strangely
enough. Here's what you are going to find:

- A new widgets/ directory. This is all the C code for custom GTK+
widgets, documentation, and glade integration files. There's also
changes to the spec file to build anaconda-widgets and
anaconda-widgets-devel as packages. If you want to work with the new
UI on a purely python level, I suggest you build and install these
packages.

Note: widgets/ is a completely separate autoconfed subdirectory that
gets configured as part of the top-level ./configure. Right now you
have to pass --enable-introspection --enable-gtk-doc yourself. If
anyone wants to take a look at how to make these the defaults, be my
guest.

- A new pyanaconda/ui tree. This is all the Python code that will
eventually take the place of iw/ and textw/. The layout should be
pretty self-explanatory. Right now there's only gui/ but others can
follow later.

I've only got placeholder stuff in here for language and upgrade. We
can start replacing the placeholder stuff real soon, though.

And then what's broken?

- anaconda will only let you do a graphical install right now.

- The install won't run very far because there's nothing past the first
hub.

- I need to send off some lorax patches to include yet more libraries,
theming engines, and icons so GTK3 will look right. I'm either going
to do that right now or tomorrow. If you try running it before I get
to it, you may get crashes. Just stand by.

- Exception handling likely crashes. That's because I haven't yet made
python-meh aware of the new UI. This will probably come much, much
later.

So, I'm testing this stuff by building a new installation ISO with my
updated lorax and the widgets/ stuff included and then adding the
pyanaconda/ui/ and other anaconda changes as an updates.img. Due to how
the g-i-r stuff fits together with its repo and the overrides, putting
the widgets/ stuff into an updates.img does not yet work. We'll get
there.

Anyway, now we can start looking at merging in the pieces everyone else
has been working on. For now, I'd appreciate it if everyone would run
their commits by me first. I don't want to be a jerk about it, but I
want to make sure we're all on the same page here. Also, I am not going
to worry too much about cleaning up existing UI code as we go. My plan
is to build the new UI completely separately and then after it's to a
reasonable state, start removing old UI code.

Please let me know if you have any questions either about how to test,
how it all fits together, or what you can be working on. There's plenty
to do.

- Chris