Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default How to restart my Internet connection?

Ubuntu 11.04, Eee PC 900:
Sometimes after waking it up after sleep (hibernation, I guess – I put
it to sleep with the ”Zzz”-button, that is Fn+1), my Internet
connection (wired broadband) doesn't work. Logging out and then in
again doesn't usually help, but a total restart usually does.
Exactly what can I restart (and how) from a terminal, so I don't need
to restart the whole computer again?
I guess the Hibernation thing will never work properly in the next 200
years anyway, but I'm fine if there is a nice workaround to get things
going again after a failed wake-up, like an icon to click or
something.

If there are a few things to restart, and therefore a few commands
needed, the plan is to just put those commands in a script that I can
run every time this happens. I already do this when Compiz-fusion,
Emerald and Empathy fails with Ubuntu 10.10 on my other computer
(which is quite often), and even though it's not perfect, I can live
with it at the moment, as long as the cure is a single mouse click.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Jeffrey Gray

I would try /etc/init.d/networking restart from your console.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/11/10 Jeffrey Gray <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com>:
> I would try /etc/init.d/networking restart from your console.

Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:58:45 +0100
Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> > I would try /etc/init.d/networking restart from your console.
> >

> Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens.

I personally never found that that worked, but maybe that's just a feature
of my system.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/11/13 R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com>:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:58:45 +0100
> Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> > I would try /etc/init.d/networking restart from your console.
>> >

>> Thanks, I'll try that next time it happens.
>
> I personally never found that that worked, but maybe that's just a feature
> of my system.

If you find something that does work, you are very welcome to share it here…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ