Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Avi Greenbury

Default libreoffice 3.4.4

Haneef Bashir wrote:

> Will Libreoffice in ubuntu automatically update to the newest release?

Sort-of

The idea is that once an application is in a release, it wont change the
way it behaves, unless it's to fix broken behaviour. The idea is that
people don't get surprised when a routine upgrade breaks compatibility
with something.

What this means in practice is that the version wont change during a
release, but usability and security bugs will be backported from the
latest version.

If you want to upgrade further than is available in a given release,
usually you need to uninstall the current version, and manually install
it through whichever means the vendor makes available. You'll then need
to manually upgrade it in future, since the package manager is unaware
of it.

It would also be worth looking for a PPA on launchpad. They tend to be
a little bit further behind than the vendor, but does keep the upgrades
integrated into the automatic updates, so it's easier to keep on top of
things.

Is there some particular feature you need from the newer version?

--
Avi

Old 11-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Haneef Bashir

> things.
>
> Is there some particular feature you need from the newer version?

There isn't any particular feature i need. I'm just hoping that some
of the bugs would have been fixed therefor making this version better
for me.

--
Haneef Bashir
T: 966-562059593