Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Noah

Default editing text files

Hi there,

okay I am having issues correcting the ^M and line feeds of a text file.
Let me explain. I transfered a text file that a friend sent me from a
windows machine. Now when I 'less' the file there are no new lines
appearing and '^M' appears where I would expect the new line to appear.

when I emacs the file - the file appears to be formatted correctly.
emacs claims its formatting is "Mac" and "Text" I dont see any ^M
markings in the emacs editor and all the new lines are where I expect
them to be.

What I can do to fix this problem? Is there an option in emacs or is
there an option from the shell?

Cheers

Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Matt Iavarone

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Noah <noah-list@enabled.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> okay I am having issues correcting the ^M and line feeds of a text file.
> Let me explain. *I transfered a text file that a friend sent me from a
> windows machine. *Now when I 'less' the file there are no new lines
> appearing and '^M' appears where I would expect the new line to appear.
>
> when I emacs the file - the file appears to be formatted correctly. emacs
> claims its formatting is *"Mac" and "Text" *I dont see any ^M markings in
> the emacs editor and all the new lines are where I expect them to be.
>
> What I can do to fix this problem? *Is there an option in emacs or is there
> an option from the shell?
>
> Cheers

I had to do this recently myself.

In vi