Old 11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Adam Funk

Default oneiric upgrade broke ssh-agent and gpg-agent

I just upgraded a machine to oneiric, and in Unity, Gnome, and Gnome
Classic, ssh-agent and gpg-agent are no longer working. When I try
ssh-add, I get "Could not open a connection to your authentication
agent", and all use of gpg now gives "gpg: gpg-agent is not available
in this session".

However, ps shows both /usr/bin/ssh-agent and and /usr/bin/gpg-agent
running, but env doesn't show any GPG- or SSH-related environment
variables.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Old 11-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Adam Funk

On 2011-11-08, Adam Funk wrote:

> I just upgraded a machine to oneiric, and in Unity, Gnome, and Gnome
> Classic, ssh-agent and gpg-agent are no longer working. When I try
> ssh-add, I get "Could not open a connection to your authentication
> agent", and all use of gpg now gives "gpg: gpg-agent is not available
> in this session".
>
> However, ps shows both /usr/bin/ssh-agent and and /usr/bin/gpg-agent
> running, but env doesn't show any GPG- or SSH-related environment
> variables.

I've made a litle progress on this. If I launch a GNOME terminal or
xterm from the applications menu or a non-custom panel launcher ("add
to panel" -> "application launcher" -> xterm selected from the menus),
env shows the relevant variables and ssh-agent and gpg-agent work.

But I normally use a custom keybinding in xbindkeys to launch xterms
(much faster for me than using the mouse), and these terminals do not
get the variables (so the two agents don't work). Looking at the
output of ps, I get the impression xbindkeys (process 8032 at present)
has been started before ssh-agent (8034) and gpg-agent (8035), so that
might explain why it hasn't inherited the variables?

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Adam Funk

On 2011-11-08, Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2011-11-08, Adam Funk wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded a machine to oneiric, and in Unity, Gnome, and Gnome
>> Classic, ssh-agent and gpg-agent are no longer working. When I try
>> ssh-add, I get "Could not open a connection to your authentication
>> agent", and all use of gpg now gives "gpg: gpg-agent is not available
>> in this session".
>>
>> However, ps shows both /usr/bin/ssh-agent and and /usr/bin/gpg-agent
>> running, but env doesn't show any GPG- or SSH-related environment
>> variables.
>
> I've made a litle progress on this. If I launch a GNOME terminal or
> xterm from the applications menu or a non-custom panel launcher ("add
> to panel" -> "application launcher" -> xterm selected from the menus),
> env shows the relevant variables and ssh-agent and gpg-agent work.
>
> But I normally use a custom keybinding in xbindkeys to launch xterms
> (much faster for me than using the mouse), and these terminals do not
> get the variables (so the two agents don't work). Looking at the
> output of ps, I get the impression xbindkeys (process 8032 at present)
> has been started before ssh-agent (8034) and gpg-agent (8035), so that
> might explain why it hasn't inherited the variables?

I'm fairly certain now that the order of starting up the session is
the problem. I'm now on a machine still running natty: xterms started
from xbindkeys have the variables and ssh-add works in them; the PIDs
are 29732 /usr/bin/ssh-agent, 29733 /usr/bin/gpg-agent, & 29806
xbindkeys.

I've also been discussing this under the launchpad bug "Gnome uses two
different ssh agents depending on how program is launched":

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-session/+bug/839444

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Adam Funk

On 2011-11-09, Adam Funk wrote:

> I'm fairly certain now that the order of starting up the session is
> the problem. I'm now on a machine still running natty: xterms started
> from xbindkeys have the variables and ssh-add works in them; the PIDs
> are 29732 /usr/bin/ssh-agent, 29733 /usr/bin/gpg-agent, & 29806
> xbindkeys.

OK, I solved the problem and discovered a great feature of GNOME 3:
its own keyboard shortcuts configuration tool now allows you to enter
arbitrary commands, so I no longer need xbindkeys.