Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default System restore progresses, new problems seen

After a few harrowing weeks, my rebuild of my decade-old server has
gotten to the point that Ubuntu 11.04 boots up and it's serving my web
pages. Whew!

There are, however, one or two problems, however. On bootup, a dialog
appears with a message I wrote down as
The config defaults for gnome-power-manager
have not been installed correctly.
Contact your computer administrator. (Of course, I'm the computer
administrator and I have no idea what to do about this.)
In addition, a bit later in bootup and on all attempts at a user GUI
login, another appears:
There is a problem with the configuration server.
(/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-chaek-2 exited 256)
And the login attempt fails. That's what makes this one urgent. No
user graphical logins.

The problem occurs for a brand-new user account as well as inherited
ones. Non-graphical logins are okay. Strangely, if I create a root
password, root can log in graphically.
The user cannot log in if I delete all dotfiles and directories from
the home directory. Neither does it work to copy over all of root's
dotfiles and directories and change ownership.

Note that this is a restored backup of the system as it was, at the
same release level but on vastly different hardware. So if there was
special configuration to be done on installation, it did not get
re-done for the new machine. This is a fairly heavily configured
system, and I really really don't want to re-do it.

This may be all one problem originating with the gnome-power-manager,
but I have already done a reinstall. It does not help.

Any ideas what I should look at now?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:25:32 -0800
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> After a few harrowing weeks, my rebuild of my decade-old server has
> gotten to the point that Ubuntu 11.04 boots up and it's serving my web
> pages. Whew!
>
> There are, however, one or two problems, however. On bootup, a dialog
> appears with a message I wrote down as
> The config defaults for gnome-power-manager
> have not been installed correctly.
> Contact your computer administrator. (Of course, I'm the computer
> administrator and I have no idea what to do about this.)
> In addition, a bit later in bootup and on all attempts at a user GUI
> login, another appears:
> There is a problem with the configuration server.
> (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-chaek-2 exited 256)
> And the login attempt fails. That's what makes this one urgent. No
> user graphical logins.
>
> The problem occurs for a brand-new user account as well as inherited
> ones. Non-graphical logins are okay. Strangely, if I create a root
> password, root can log in graphically.
> The user cannot log in if I delete all dotfiles and directories from
> the home directory. Neither does it work to copy over all of root's
> dotfiles and directories and change ownership.
>
> Note that this is a restored backup of the system as it was, at the
> same release level but on vastly different hardware. So if there was
> special configuration to be done on installation, it did not get
> re-done for the new machine. This is a fairly heavily configured
> system, and I really really don't want to re-do it.
>
> This may be all one problem originating with the gnome-power-manager,
> but I have already done a reinstall. It does not help.
>
> Any ideas what I should look at now?

Googling on, "gconf-sanity-check-2 exited 256," produced this forum fix:
There are four pages of various fixes so don't be discouraged.
It looks like a permissions problem in the /tmp directory.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Karl Auer

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 21:25 -0800, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-chaek-2 exited 256)
> And the login attempt fails. That's what makes this one urgent. No
> user graphical logins.

Google for that exact error message (correctly spelled though) for some
ideas. Various people have had it before you, and have found various
solutions.

> The problem occurs for a brand-new user account as well as inherited
> ones. Non-graphical logins are okay. Strangely, if I create a root
> password, root can log in graphically.

This strongly suggests a permissions issue, probably to do with gconf
config files. Look in /etc/gconf for files that only root can *read*
that probabaly should be readable by others...

> This may be all one problem originating with the gnome-power-manager,
> but I have already done a reinstall. It does not help.

Try a remove --purge, then a new install.

Regards, K.

PS: Stabbing in the dark here, I actually have no clue :-)

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 21:25:32 -0800
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> After a few harrowing weeks, my rebuild of my decade-old server has
>> gotten to the point that Ubuntu 11.04 boots up and it's serving my web
>> pages. *Whew!
>>
>> There are, however, one or two problems, however. *On bootup, a dialog
>> appears with a message I wrote down as
>> * * The config defaults for gnome-power-manager
>> * * have not been installed correctly.
>> * *Contact your computer administrator. * (Of course, I'm the computer
>> administrator and I have no idea what to do about this.)
>> In addition, a bit later in bootup and on all attempts at a user GUI
>> login, another appears:
>> * * There is a problem with the configuration server.
>> * * (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-chaek-2 exited 256)
>> And the login attempt fails. *That's what makes this one urgent. *No
>> user graphical logins.
>>
>> The problem occurs for a brand-new user account as well as inherited
>> ones. *Non-graphical logins are okay. * Strangely, if I create a root
>> password, root can log in graphically.
>> The user cannot log in if I delete all dotfiles and directories from
>> the home directory. *Neither does it work to copy over all of root's
>> dotfiles and directories and change ownership.
>>
>> Note that this is a restored backup of the system as it was, at the
>> same release level but on vastly different hardware. *So if there was
>> special configuration to be done on installation, it did not get
>> re-done for the new machine. *This is a fairly heavily configured
>> system, and I really really don't want to re-do it.
>>
>> This may be all one problem originating with the gnome-power-manager,
>> but I have already done a reinstall. *It does not help.
>>
>> Any ideas what I should look at now?
>>
> Googling on, "gconf-sanity-check-2 exited 256," produced this forum fix:
> There are four pages of various fixes so don't be discouraged.
> It looks like a permissions problem in the /tmp directory.

I did not see a reference to /tmp in the page you linked, but sure
enough /tmp was 755. I set it to 1777, as I always taught my students
to do and all is well. Both dialogs went away and graphical logins
are fine.

Thanks. On to the next problem. Stay tuned.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD