Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 AM
"Carlos Havel"

Default Ubuntu Launcher

When starting Ubuntu 11.10 I, most times, wind up
selecting "Dash Home", "apps", and choosing a program among "87 more
results".
*
Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10
Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 AM
clanlaw

On 8 November 2011 03:56, Carlos Havel <carloshavel@gmail.com> wrote:
> When starting Ubuntu 11.10 I, most times, wind up selecting "Dash Home",
> "apps", and choosing a program among "87 more results".
>
> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?

You can't. If you have programs you use regularly you can fix them to
the launcher by opening them and right clicking the icon in the
launcher and selecting Keep in Launcher (or something similar).
Alternatively if you know the name of the app you want to run, hit the
Super (windows) key to bring up the dash and start typing the name of
the app. After three or four characters it should find the one you
want and once it is first in the list you can just hit enter to run
it. So for example to run the calculator I hit Super then cal and
enter and it is runs.

Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 11-08-2011, 07:11 AM
David Nelson

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM, clanlaw <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2011 03:56, Carlos Havel <carloshavel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When starting Ubuntu 11.10 I, most times, wind up selecting "Dash Home",
>> "apps", and choosing a program among "87 more results".
>>
>> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?

You can check out this page below and other articles on the same blog
and use Gnome 3 instead of Unity. You'll probably like it a lot
better, and it solves your issue mentioned above.

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/things-to-tweak-after-installing-ubuntu.html
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/official-gnome-shell-extensions.html

HTH.

--
David Nelson

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Avi Greenbury

David Nelson wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM, clanlaw <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 8 November 2011 03:56, Carlos Havel <carloshavel@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >> When starting Ubuntu 11.10 I, most times, wind up selecting "Dash
> >> Home", "apps", and choosing a program among "87 more results".
> >>
> >> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04
> >> Pulldown Menu?
>
> You can check out this page below and other articles on the same blog
> and use Gnome 3 instead of Unity. You'll probably like it a lot
> better, and it solves your issue mentioned above.

Gnome3 also has no menu by default, and it's own fair share of needing
to rethink how you use your computer, perhaps moreso than Unity for
someone coming from Gnoem 2.

Sure, he *might* like it a lot better, and is perhaps worth suggesting,
but I really don't think it's a solution to someone wanting a
drop-down menu in Unity.

--
Avi

Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
David Nelson

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Gnome3 also has no menu by default, and it's own fair share of needing
> to rethink how you use your computer, perhaps moreso than Unity for
> someone coming from Gnoem 2.

The two articles above explain how to install Gnome applets that
provide a really cool interface. Personally, I'm extremely happy with
the desktop I have set up here... I don't even miss Gnome 2 anymore,
although Gnome 3 and Unity *are* somewhat more resource-hungry. IMHO,
for low-spec systems, 10.10 is still the best offering.

--
David Nelson

Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Koh Choon Lin

Hi

>> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?
>
> You can't. *If you have programs you use regularly you can fix them to
> the launcher by opening them and right clicking the icon in the
> launcher and selecting Keep in Launcher (or something similar).
> Alternatively if you know the name of the app you want to run, hit the
> Super (windows) key to bring up the dash and start typing the name of
> the app. *After three or four characters it should find the one you
> want and once it is first in the list you can just hit enter to run
> it. *So for example to run the calculator I hit Super then cal and
> enter and it is runs.

Can I at least modify the command line of each launcher? Say I wish to
pass an argument to Firefox each time I launch it, where do I go to
edit the path of the Mozilla icon?

--
Regards
Koh Choon Lin

Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Rigved Rakshit

Hi

>> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?

> You can't. *If you have programs you use regularly you can fix them to

> the launcher by opening them and right clicking the icon in the

> launcher and selecting Keep in Launcher (or something similar).

> Alternatively if you know the name of the app you want to run, hit the

> Super (windows) key to bring up the dash and start typing the name of

> the app. *After three or four characters it should find the one you

> want and once it is first in the list you can just hit enter to run

> it. *So for example to run the calculator I hit Super then cal and

> enter and it is runs.

Can I at least modify the command line of each launcher? Say I wish to

pass an argument to Firefox each time I launch it, where do I go to

edit the path of the Mozilla icon?

You can create a shell script, which calls firefox with the necessary arguments. Save this script on the desktop. Make sure that it is executable. Then, everytime you double-click it, select "Run" in the dialogue box that appears.

Save the following sample as firefox.sh. After you have saved it, make sure that is executable.

Sample Shell:

#!/bin/bash

firefox --argument1 --argument2 --argumentn

Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Gerry Boland

Anybody knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?

You can't. If you have programs you use regularly you can fix them to
the launcher by opening them and right clicking the icon in the
launcher and selecting Keep in Launcher (or something similar).
Alternatively if you know the name of the app you want to run, hit the
Super (windows) key to bring up the dash and start typing the name of
the app. After three or four characters it should find the one you
want and once it is first in the list you can just hit enter to run
it. So for example to run the calculator I hit Super then cal and
enter and it is runs.

Can I at least modify the command line of each launcher? Say I wish to
pass an argument to Firefox each time I launch it, where do I go to
edit the path of the Mozilla icon?

Have a look in the firefox.desktop file, located in
/usr/share/applications. You can add flags to the

Exec=firefox %u
line, but note this will change firefox globally (except when run via
command line).

-G

Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Colin Law

On 14 November 2011 00:02, Koh Choon Lin <2choonlin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
>>> Anybody*knows how to replace the 11.10 Launcher for the 11.04 Pulldown Menu?
>>
>> You can't. *If you have programs you use regularly you can fix them to
>> the launcher by opening them and right clicking the icon in the
>> launcher and selecting Keep in Launcher (or something similar).
>> Alternatively if you know the name of the app you want to run, hit the
>> Super (windows) key to bring up the dash and start typing the name of
>> the app. *After three or four characters it should find the one you
>> want and once it is first in the list you can just hit enter to run
>> it. *So for example to run the calculator I hit Super then cal and
>> enter and it is runs.
>
> Can I at least modify the command line of each launcher? Say I wish to
> pass an argument to Firefox each time I launch it, where do I go to
> edit the path of the Mozilla icon?

See
http://askubuntu.com/questions/13758/how-can-i-edit-create-new-launcher-items-in-unity-by-hand
for how to create custom launchers if that is what you mean. Read
right through it first as there are various methods.

Colin