Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Udvarias Ur

Default How can I reinstall the Unity Launcher

I'm a first time user of this list, though I have been an administrator
of a number of lists using the Mailman software.

I have a problem I can not seem to solve, regardless of years of
experience with AT&T Unix, SCO Unix, Interactive Unix, Unixware, and
Irix. It seems to have been triggered by the same problem that Jim
Byrnes and Colin Law encountered in October 2011.

* I read some of the help for Unity, to find a way to configure it.
* I found mention of the Compiz settings manager. (I don't remember the
exact name.)

So I installed it.
* After changing only it's size and position the Launcher ceased to
behave properly.
* Even resetting all the variables to their defaults, from inside the
Compiz settings manager,

would not return the Launcher to it's default behaviour.

* I removed the launcher, intending to re-install it, to re-establish
the default behaviour.

* Unfortunately I rebooted the system before I re-install the Launcher.
* Logging in at the GUI pops up a small dialogue that reads
'Failed to load session "ubuntu"'
with a
Logout
button.

* Now I can only get into the system as root in recovery mode.

* All my data is on second hard disk that can be accessed by both
Windows and Ubuntu so I can

re-install Ubuntu.
* However I spent a lot of time installing software and
configuring Ubuntu to work the way

I want it to.
So, I'd rather not go through that again, though if push came
to shove I could start all

over from scratch.

* I thought editing the .loginrc would get me back in so I could
re-install the Launcher.

* However, Ubuntu (Linux?) doesn't have one that I could find.

* With my Windows system I downloaded all the Unity 2d packages from
ca.archive.ubuntu.org.
* Booting into the root console, mounting the Windows partition,
changing directory to the location

of the Unity 2d packages and running

apt-get install unity-2d-launcher_4.12.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
or
apt-get install unity-2d-launcher

returned

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
E: Unable to write to /var/cache/apt/
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

What am I omitting or doing wrong?

Some more info, running

apt-cache pkgnames unity

produced the following output

unity-asset-pool
unity
unity-2d
unity-2d-panel
unity-place-applications
unity-lens-gwibber
unity-2d-launcher
unity-lens-applications
unity-services
unity-scope-musicstores
unity-lens-music
unity-common
unity-2d-spread
unity-place-files
unity-lens-files
unity-greeter
unity-2d-places

So it seems that unity-2d-launcher is still in the cache.

--
Udvarias Ur

This letter was generated and sent from Thunderbird on Windows.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Gerry Boland

I'm a first time user of this list, though I have been an
administrator of a number of lists using the Mailman software.

I have a problem I can not seem to solve, regardless of years of
experience with AT&T Unix, SCO Unix, Interactive Unix, Unixware, and
Irix. It seems to have been triggered by the same problem that Jim
Byrnes and Colin Law encountered in October 2011.

* I read some of the help for Unity, to find a way to configure it.
* I found mention of the Compiz settings manager. (I don't remember
the exact name.)
So I installed it.
* After changing only it's size and position the Launcher ceased to
behave properly.
* Even resetting all the variables to their defaults, from inside the
Compiz settings manager,
would not return the Launcher to it's default behaviour.

You could try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall unity

just to see if it helps.

[...]

Hey,
those lockfile errors mean you're missing "sudo"

But also when installing a deb file manually, you need to use

sudo dpkg -i filename.deb

However if you can boot to a command prompt at all, and are using wired
connection, try

sudo apt-get install unity-2d

which should get you going. Note that you need to select "Ubuntu2D" in
the login screen to actually
boot to it. This option is hidden under the "cog" to the right of the
password prompt.

-G

Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Udvarias Ur