Old 11-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Ubuntu LTS vs. Firefox Stable PPA

Hi,

When installing Linux desktops for clients (small town halls, public
libraries, schools), I usually favour enterprise-class desktops, e. g.
CentOS, Slackware (bug corrections for 10 year old versions, duh!) or -
lately - Ubuntu LTS.

I'm currently fiddling with a Ubuntu 10.04 desktop, and I wonder if it's
a good idea to configure the Firefox stable PPA and replace the stock
Firefox 3.6.23 by the latest Firefox 7.x.

Pros: latest versions seem noticeably faster, eat less RAM, offer better
compatibility with various add-on modules (that don't work anymore on
Firefox 3.6.x). Plus, latest versions seem to get more love by the
Mozilla developers.

Cons: not supported officially by Canonical.

I'd be curious to have your ideas about that. The goal is to have a
"stealth" desktop that doesn't basically turn into a Tamagotchi. The
various CentOS 5.x and Slackware 13.x desktops I've installed so far are
quite successful in that regard. Now I'd like to have the same thing
with an Ubuntu system.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

Old 11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Md Ashickur Rahman Noor

I am Using FX 7.*.* in Ubuntu 10.04. There is no problem. Being 10.04 is a LTS edition Canonical recommended to use stable thing. You can use PPA to install latest Mozilla products.----------------------------------------------------------

Dedicated Linux Forum in Bangladesh
Thank you
Md Ashickur Rahman
Volunteer, Foundation for Open Source Solutions Bangladesh.

01611151550

Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Billie Walsh

[...]

I've been running the Firefox PPA with Kubuntu and it seems to be worth
it, other than the rapid release cycle. Kind of a pain to get an upgrade
notice every day or so. It has a black icon and says "Nightly Web
Browser". I have a quad core and four gigs memory but I don't see much
of an increase in speed over the standard Firefox. It seems to be very
stable.I haven't experienced any real hiccups with it so far. It runs
quite well in parallel with the standard Firefox. I'm not real thrilled
with some of the layout changes in recent versions of Firefox. but they
can be lived with or modified.

As always, YMMV, but I would say go for it.

--

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin -

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Nicolas Kovacs

As always, YMMV, but I would say go for it.

/me went for it.

Thanks )

Niki

Old 11-08-2011, 02:35 AM
NoOp

On 11/06/2011 10:23 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When installing Linux desktops for clients (small town halls, public
> libraries, schools), I usually favour enterprise-class desktops, e. g.
> CentOS, Slackware (bug corrections for 10 year old versions, duh!) or -
> lately - Ubuntu LTS.
>
> I'm currently fiddling with a Ubuntu 10.04 desktop, and I wonder if it's
> a good idea to configure the Firefox stable PPA and replace the stock
> Firefox 3.6.23 by the latest Firefox 7.x.
>
> Pros: latest versions seem noticeably faster, eat less RAM, offer better
> compatibility with various add-on modules (that don't work anymore on
> Firefox 3.6.x). Plus, latest versions seem to get more love by the
> Mozilla developers.
>
> Cons: not supported officially by Canonical.

That's sometimes a good thing...

Why not just install directly?

<http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/>

Download & extract to a /home/ directory and then set up a menu to run
Firefox from there: /home/username/firefox/firefox. For systemwide,
install into /opt. User profiles will be the same in both
~/.mozilla/firefox. That way you will also have a 'Help|About
Firefox|Check for Updates' (or you can set for auto, but I turn mine
off). I find it safer and easier to install to each user's /home/
directory instead of messing about with /opt etc. Reason being is that,
if the user screws something up, he/she doesn't screw up anyone else.
Plus it's more secure IMO than having FF installed with superuser/root
permissions elsewhere in the system. If you're worried about the user
messing about in /home/username/firefox/firefox, then make it a hidden
folder:
/home/username/.firefox/firefox

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20Firefox%20on%20Linux

Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 AM