Old 11-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Missing window controls in LibreOffice

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my main workhorse PC. So far,
I'm beginning to like the interface and its quirks, although there are
some unnerving bugs.

When I open LibreOffice and maximize the window, there's no way to have
window control buttons. They just disappear. So I'm left with the choice
of either a) working with a maximized LibreOffice, and b) close
LibreOffice by invoking File > Quit from the menu.

Any idea how I could get my controls back ?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr
Mail : info@microlinux.fr
Tél. : 04 66 63 10 32

Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Colin Law

On 6 November 2011 08:54, Nicolas Kovacs <info@microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my main workhorse PC. So far, I'm
> beginning to like the interface and its quirks, although there are some
> unnerving bugs.
>
> When I open LibreOffice and maximize the window, there's no way to have
> window control buttons. They just disappear. So I'm left with the choice of
> either a) working with a maximized LibreOffice, and b) close LibreOffice by
> invoking File > Quit from the menu.
>
> Any idea how I could get my controls back ?

You are right, I had not noticed that before, I wonder whether it is a
new problem. I will see if there is an existing bug and report it if
not. For the moment if you switch to another application (using
Alt+tab or via the launcher) and then switch back the controls will
appear. Alternatively you can hide all windows using Alt+D or the
Super (windows) key (it should be the latter but some systems only the
former work), then go back to LO via the launcher.

Colin

Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

You are right, I had not noticed that before, I wonder whether it is a
new problem. I will see if there is an existing bug and report it if
not. For the moment if you switch to another application (using
Alt+tab or via the launcher) and then switch back the controls will
appear.

Thanks for the workaround. It works... provided there is indeed another
application running.

There seem to be some bug reports around for this question since 11.04
came out, but curiously enough, without any apparent progress. This is
strange, since anyone using LibreOffice productively should be bugged
within minutes by it.

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs

Old 11-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Colin Law

On 6 November 2011 10:44, Nicolas Kovacs <info@microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Le 06/11/2011 11:24, Colin Law a écrit :
>>
>> You are right, I had not noticed that before, I wonder whether it is a
>> new problem. *I will see if there is an existing bug and report it if
>> not. *For the moment if you switch to another application (using
>> Alt+tab or via the launcher) and then switch back the controls will
>> appear.
>
> Thanks for the workaround. It works... provided there is indeed another
> application running.

Showing the desktop and returning should work if no other apps running.

> There seem to be some bug reports around for this question since 11.04 came
> out, but curiously enough, without any apparent progress. This is strange,
> since anyone using LibreOffice productively should be bugged within minutes
> by it.

I have added it to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/886606 (Some apps show no
menu in panel until click away and back). Perhaps you would like to
attach yourself to the bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/842566 also references this
problem but I think that one is generally about issues that affect
both unity 2d and 3d whereas this issue seems specific to 2d.
Have you noticed the problem over a period of time or do you think it
has just started in the last week or two?

Colin

Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Showing the desktop and returning should work if no other apps running.

Indeed, and this looks like an acceptable workaround in the meantime.
Thanks.

I have added it to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/886606 (Some apps show no
menu in panel until click away and back). Perhaps you would like to
attach yourself to the bug.

OK I just did that.

Have a nice Sunday.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:26 AM
NoOp

On 11/06/2011 01:54 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my main workhorse PC. So far,
> I'm beginning to like the interface and its quirks, although there are
> some unnerving bugs.
>
> When I open LibreOffice and maximize the window, there's no way to have
> window control buttons. They just disappear. So I'm left with the choice
> of either a) working with a maximized LibreOffice, and b) close
> LibreOffice by invoking File > Quit from the menu.
>
> Any idea how I could get my controls back ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Niki

I can't replicate on a new 11.10 test partition. Can you post a
screenshot somewhere?

Either way, you should review the LO bug reports on launchpad:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice>
to see if there is already a bug filed for this.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Colin Law

On 7 November 2011 03:26, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/06/2011 01:54 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity 2D on my main workhorse PC. So far,
>> I'm beginning to like the interface and its quirks, although there are
>> some unnerving bugs.
>>
>> When I open LibreOffice and maximize the window, there's no way to have
>> window control buttons. They just disappear. So I'm left with the choice
>> of either a) working with a maximized LibreOffice, and b) close
>> LibreOffice by invoking File > Quit from the menu.
>>
>> Any idea how I could get my controls back ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Niki
>
> I can't replicate on a new 11.10 test partition. Can you post a
> screenshot somewhere?
>
> Either way, you should review the LO bug reports on launchpad:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice>
> to see if there is already a bug filed for this.

I could not find a specific bug for it so included it in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/886606 (Some apps show no
menu in panel until click away and back) which documents the missing
controls symptom for several applications when using 2d. The symptom
is also referenced from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/842566 but I think that bug
is supposed to be about missing windows on 3d and 2d rather than this
problem, which is specific to 2d.

To replicate it consistently (for me anyway), open libreoffice writer,
maximise it and close again. Then open it from the launcher keeping
the mouse over the launcher till it opens. Moving the mouse over
another window while office is opening can prevent the symptom
appearing (presumably something to do with the way the other window
grabs the mouse). When LibreOffice opens, the area of the top panel
where the title and window controls should be is blank. This only
happens in Unity-2d.

Colin

Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 PM
NoOp

On 11/07/2011 01:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 November 2011 03:26, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I can't replicate on a new 11.10 test partition. Can you post a
>> screenshot somewhere?
>>
>> Either way, you should review the LO bug reports on launchpad:
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice>
>> to see if there is already a bug filed for this.
>
> I could not find a specific bug for it so included it in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/886606 (Some apps show no
> menu in panel until click away and back) which documents the missing
> controls symptom for several applications when using 2d. The symptom
> is also referenced from
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/842566 but I think that bug
> is supposed to be about missing windows on 3d and 2d rather than this
> problem, which is specific to 2d.
>
> To replicate it consistently (for me anyway), open libreoffice writer,
> maximise it and close again. Then open it from the launcher keeping
> the mouse over the launcher till it opens. Moving the mouse over
> another window while office is opening can prevent the symptom
> appearing (presumably something to do with the way the other window
> grabs the mouse). When LibreOffice opens, the area of the top panel
> where the title and window controls should be is blank. This only
> happens in Unity-2d.
Ah. I see what you are referring to now. I resolved by removing
appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt and putting the minimize, maximize,
close buttons back onto the right side of the window.