FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default System recovery woes

I'll try to keep this short, but the temptation is to tell the whole
story of the last 2 weeks. I'll spare you that.

My 9-year-old main machine -- DNS, web and mail server plus main home
desktop -- died a slightly lingering death. I was able to get
backups, I think, mostly as tar files. Thank the gods of progress for
2 terrabyte drives.

I have a new mainboard and all new controllers. Now I need to
restore. Putting data back on disk is not a problem, but getting it
to boot is surprisingly hard. This is where I could use some help.
The system was Natty, and that's how I'm trying to restore it.

I've been following instructions from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair with no luck. it's even
made the system unbootable sometimes. It refuses to do the advanced
stuff (screen shots on the web page) from a hard disk, but then from a
fresh live CD it won't enable them. Grrrr.

I've been following instructions from
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling_GRUB2, which
includes quite a number of methods. I'm working my way through, but
I'm not done yet. I find to my surprise that "grub-install" does not
build a grub.cfg, and grub-mkconfig (the guts of update-grub) refuses
to run from my live disk because the mount point of the root directory
("aufs") confuses it.

So far, I've been working with a fresh install of 11.04 on /dev/sda4,
and the restored partition on /dev/sda7. I still have things to try,
but I thought I'd mention what seems to be problems with the state of
the recovery tools, and hope for some sage advice.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
"compdoc"
 
Default System recovery woes

>I have a new mainboard and all new controllers. Now I need to
>restore. Putting data back on disk is not a problem, but getting it
>to boot is surprisingly hard. This is where I could use some help.
>The system was Natty, and that's how I'm trying to restore it.

When weird things happen, there's always a reason. Finding the reason can be
the hard part for people without experience.

If you're reusing the hard drives, make sure you check the SMART data for
each drive with gnome-disk-utility. If you have reallocated sectors on any
drive, replace it.

Power supplies shouldn't be overlooked either. I've replaced many for bad
capacitors and burned components inside.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Colin Law
 
Default System recovery woes

On 5 November 2011 23:48, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So far, I've been working with a fresh install of 11.04 on /dev/sda4,
> and the restored partition on /dev/sda7. *I still have things to try,
> but I thought I'd mention what seems to be problems with the state of
> the recovery tools, and hope for some sage advice.

It is not clear to me what you are trying to restore, you say you have
a fresh install of 11.04 but say you are having trouble with grub.
Does the fresh install not work correctly? What are you trying to
restore on sda7?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-06-2011, 04:25 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default System recovery woes

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 7:48 AM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>I have a new mainboard and all new controllers. *Now I need to
>>restore. *Putting data back on disk is not a problem, but getting it
>>to boot is surprisingly hard. *This is where I could use some help.
>>The system was Natty, and that's how I'm trying to restore it.
>
> When weird things happen, there's always a reason. Finding the reason can be
> the hard part for people without experience.
>
> If you're reusing the hard drives, make sure you check the SMART data for
> each drive with gnome-disk-utility. If you have reallocated sectors on any
> drive, replace it.

The drives are reused but newish, and none has SMART tripped.

> Power supplies shouldn't be overlooked either. I've replaced many for bad
> capacitors and burned components inside.

In any event, I have no reason to suspect hardware trouble. *Perhaps I
didn't say it, but a newly-installed 11.04 partition boots just fine.
I just cannot get my recovered stuff to boot. *I've had trouble with
the grub tools, and also suspect that my backup .tar files may not
include everything they need.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"
 
Default System recovery woes

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 8:14 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 5 November 2011 23:48, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So far, I've been working with a fresh install of 11.04 on /dev/sda4,
>> and the restored partition on /dev/sda7. *I still have things to try,
>> but I thought I'd mention what seems to be problems with the state of
>> the recovery tools, and hope for some sage advice.
>
> It is not clear to me what you are trying to restore, you say you have
> a fresh install of 11.04 but say you are having trouble with grub.
> Does the fresh install not work correctly? *What are you trying to
> restore on sda7?
>
> Colin

I have two partitions with OS-en on them. A fresh install that seems
fine, and a partition where I'm trying to restore and boot a backup,
but having trouble. The fresh install has been necessary in order to
run some of the grub tools, and to validate that the hardware is
functioning.

This has now been going on long enough that I'm considering running
the fresh install and moving over my configuration from the backup
manually. I'm really not liking that option because of how heavily
configured the system was. Besides, now seems like a sensible time to
find out if I have to change my backup techniques in some way. Right
now they are tars of each mount point, ntfsclones of ntfs partitions,
dd's of other non-linux partitions, and text files of the outputs of
fdisk, df and blkid.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org