Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Default Menu Launcher in my Ubuntu 11.10 Gone.e 32

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:09:13 +0000
From: Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Menu Launcher in my Ubuntu 11.10 Gone.

On 5 November 2011 05:41, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:

I think I had messed up something in my just upgraded Ubuntu 11.10 from
11.04. ?When I was looking at compiz manager window and check-marked one or
two boxes to get desired compiz effects, the menu launcher disappeared. ?I
went into Launchpad and found some tips that I tried, but so far no success.
?I have to press PC button to turn it off cuz no icons on the top bar to
click on. ?I repeatedly re-booted up PC ... still same. Even I re-installed
the OS using a live CD -- no better. ?This already made me very regret
getting the upgrade. ?Any tips or suggestions for me to try to fix it up?

It sounds like this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/777024 (though I suspect the
same situation can be reached by other means, the problem is that
Unity plugin has been disabled).
To fix it open a terminal by typing Ctrl+Alt+T then type
ccsm
which will open the compiz config manager, then enable the Unity
plugin and all should be well.

By the way in order to avoid powering off manually you could have
opened a terminal and typed
sudo shutdown -h now
Also Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace might have got you out.

Colin

Colin
Wow! Much many thanks for the solution to my problem. I think I
carelessly removed the check from the Unity plugin box in the Compiz
Config Manager. I tried to find this file in Filesystem, but I
couldn't find it. Actually I clicked open one file on the desktop in
order to get myself into internet connection to seek help. I'll make
record of instruction of how to use terminal and tips to follow.
Thank you.
Now here is another issue. You provided me an info about solution
to the problem of 'saved tabs in firewall browser', but I could not
find Session Manager even in 'search for' in my Filesystem. I'll keep
on digging deeper looking for the solution as per your reply to my
previous request.

Thank you Colin.
Jim

Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Colin Law

On 5 November 2011 15:25, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:

> *Now here is another issue. *You provided me an info about solution to the
> problem of 'saved tabs in firewall browser', but I could not find Session
> Manager even in 'search for' in my Filesystem. *I'll keep on digging deeper
> looking for the solution as per your reply to my previous request.

Session manager is a Firefox plugin. In FF go Tools > Addons > Get
Addons and enter Session Manager in the search box and hit enter.

> *Thank you Colin.

Glad to be of help

Colin

Old 11-05-2011, 11:11 PM
ssc1478

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 09:09:13 +0000
>> From: Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>
>
> Colin
> Wow! *Much many thanks for the solution to my problem.

Thanks indeed! I was having the same problem, and needed to disable
the gnome compatibility plugin and enable the unity plugin. I had
given up and have been using gnome 3 since upgrading to 11.10.

Phil