Old 11-05-2011, 04:41 AM

Default Menu Launcher in my Ubuntu 11.10 Gone.

I think I had messed up something in my just upgraded Ubuntu 11.10
from 11.04. When I was looking at compiz manager window and
check-marked one or two boxes to get desired compiz effects, the menu
launcher disappeared. I went into Launchpad and found some tips that
I tried, but so far no success. I have to press PC button to turn it
off cuz no icons on the top bar to click on. I repeatedly re-booted
up PC ... still same. Even I re-installed the OS using a live CD -- no
better. This already made me very regret getting the upgrade. Any
tips or suggestions for me to try to fix it up? Thank you. Jim

Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Colin Law

On 5 November 2011 05:41, <jimkvg@3web.com> wrote:
> I think I had messed up something in my just upgraded Ubuntu 11.10 from
> 11.04. *When I was looking at compiz manager window and check-marked one or
> two boxes to get desired compiz effects, the menu launcher disappeared. *I
> went into Launchpad and found some tips that I tried, but so far no success.
> *I have to press PC button to turn it off cuz no icons on the top bar to
> click on. *I repeatedly re-booted up PC ... still same. Even I re-installed
> the OS using a live CD -- no better. *This already made me very regret
> getting the upgrade. *Any tips or suggestions for me to try to fix it up?

It sounds like this bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/777024 (though I suspect the
same situation can be reached by other means, the problem is that
Unity plugin has been disabled).
To fix it open a terminal by typing Ctrl+Alt+T then type
ccsm
which will open the compiz config manager, then enable the Unity
plugin and all should be well.

By the way in order to avoid powering off manually you could have
opened a terminal and typed
sudo shutdown -h now
Also Ctrl+Alt+Del or Ctrl+Alt+Backspace might have got you out.

Colin