-   -   How to stop consolekit logging (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/594805-how-stop-consolekit-logging.html)

Doug 11-04-2011 09:57 PM

How to stop consolekit logging

On 11/04/2011 05:24 PM, Colin Law wrote:

I am running Ubuntu on a Sheeva Plug PC on an SD card so I want to
minimise the amount of logging. I have been unable to find any way of
stopping consolekit from logging to /var/log/ConsoleKit/history or at
least reducing the detail. It gets written to every few minutes and
grows at about 0.5MB/day. Google has failed me and the consolekit
documentation that I found said nothing about logging.

Any ideas anyone?

Colin

If you can't stop it, you could write a cron script that would rm
the log each day. If you really got fancy, the script would only
rm files older than x days, so you could look up the last day or two, if
you should want to.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley

Colin Law 11-05-2011 07:45 AM

On 4 November 2011 22:20, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> I am running Ubuntu on a Sheeva Plug PC on an SD card so I want to
>> minimise the amount of logging. *I have been unable to find any way
>> of stopping consolekit from logging to /var/log/ConsoleKit/history
>> or at least reducing the detail. *It gets written to every few
>> minutes and grows at about 0.5MB/day. *Google has failed me and the
>> consolekit documentation that I found said nothing about logging.
>
> I didn't try if it works but I would link /var/log/ConsoleKit/history to
> /dev/null. OTOH, you could put /var/log in a tmpfs if you don't care
> about any logs and if RAM is not too limited for your application. That
> would save even more write operations to the SD card.

Linking to null sounds like a good idea, I will give that a go if I
don't find how to disable the logging. The Sheeva only has 512MB RAM
so a tempfs is not so good.

Thanks

Colin

Colin Law 11-05-2011 07:47 AM

On 4 November 2011 22:57, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 11/04/2011 05:24 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> I am running Ubuntu on a Sheeva Plug PC on an SD card so I want to
>> minimise the amount of logging. *I have been unable to find any way of
>> stopping consolekit from logging to /var/log/ConsoleKit/history or at
>> least reducing the detail. *It gets written to every few minutes and
>> grows at about 0.5MB/day. *Google has failed me and the consolekit
>> documentation that I found said nothing about logging.
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> Colin
>>
> If you can't stop it, you could write a cron script that would rm
> the log each day. If you really got fancy, the script would only
> rm files older than x days, so you could look up the last day or two, if you
> should want to.

It is not so much the space as wearing out the SD card that I am
concerned about.

Colin

Colin Law 11-05-2011 12:23 PM

How to stop consolekit logging

On 4 November 2011 22:20, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> I am running Ubuntu on a Sheeva Plug PC on an SD card so I want to
>> minimise the amount of logging. *I have been unable to find any way
>> of stopping consolekit from logging to /var/log/ConsoleKit/history
>> or at least reducing the detail. *It gets written to every few
>> minutes and grows at about 0.5MB/day. *Google has failed me and the
>> consolekit documentation that I found said nothing about logging.
>
> I didn't try if it works but I would link /var/log/ConsoleKit/history to
> /dev/null.

Unfortunately that gives
console-kit-daemon[2216]: WARNING: Couldn't open log file
/var/log/ConsoleKit/history (Too many levels of symbolic links)
Presumably I can find where that is linked from and link to null from
there. I will have to google how to do that.

Colin

OTOH, you could put /var/log in a tmpfs if you don't care
> about any logs and if RAM is not too limited for your application. That
> would save even more write operations to the SD card.
>

> Nils

gplus.to/clanlaw