Old 11-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Bret Busby

Default Ubuntu 10.04.3LTS CD1 not bootable

Hello.

Due to a problem with a computer not being able to find its FAT, I
downloaded and wrote Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso to a CD, and tried to
boot from it.

It would not boot on that computer, so I figured that it was a fault in
that computer.

However, I have just tried to boot from that CD, in my laptop, an
HP/Compaq NX5000, and it would not boot. It had a screen with the word
Ubuntu, and about 5 or 6 litle boxes in a row underneath it, and the
boxes lit up in sequence, and it cycled around doing that for a few
minutes, and then the screen went blank and nothing else happened.

I removed the CD, and inserted a Ubuntu 8.04 DVD, and booted from that,
and that worked.

So, it appears that Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso image, is not bootable.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..

Old 11-03-2011, 03:50 PM
"compdoc"

>Due to a problem with a computer not being able to find its FAT, I
>downloaded and wrote Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso to a CD, and tried to
>boot from it.

You don't write an .iso file to the cd. It's an image, and has to be written
in a special way.

If done correctly, you'll see files on the cd, and not one file name
Ubuntu-whatever.iso

Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Colin Law

On 3 November 2011 16:35, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Due to a problem with a computer not being able to find its FAT, I
> downloaded and wrote Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso to a CD, and tried to boot
> from it.
>
> It would not boot on that computer, so I figured that it was a fault in that
> computer.
>
> However, I have just tried to boot from that CD, in my laptop, an HP/Compaq
> NX5000, and it would not boot. It had a screen with the word Ubuntu, and
> about 5 or 6 litle boxes in a row underneath it, and the boxes lit up in
> sequence, and it cycled around doing that for a few minutes, and then the
> screen went blank and nothing else happened.
>
> I removed the CD, and inserted a Ubuntu 8.04 DVD, and booted from that, and
> that worked.
>
> So, it appears that Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso image, is not bootable.

First I suggest burning another CD, at slow speed, to check it was
burned corrrectly.

Colin

Old 11-03-2011, 04:50 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 3 November 2011 16:35, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
> However, I have just tried to boot from that CD, in my laptop, an HP/Compaq
> NX5000, and it would not boot. It had a screen with the word Ubuntu, and
> about 5 or 6 litle boxes in a row underneath it, and the boxes lit up in
> sequence, and it cycled around doing that for a few minutes, and then the
> screen went blank and nothing else happened.
Hit tab, remove the "quiet" bit from the line and retry. Now you
should be able to see where it gets stuck.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:19 PM

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 13:50, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 16:35, Bret Busby <bret@busby.net> wrote:
>> However, I have just tried to boot from that CD, in my laptop, an HP/Compaq
>> NX5000, and it would not boot. It had a screen with the word Ubuntu, and
>> about 5 or 6 litle boxes in a row underneath it, and the boxes lit up in
>> sequence, and it cycled around doing that for a few minutes, and then the
>> screen went blank and nothing else happened.
> Hit tab, remove the "quiet" bit from the line and retry. Now you
> should be able to see where it gets stuck.

This...

Also, run md5sum on the iso you downloaded and compare it to the
posted ISOs for that image to verify you have a complete image (in
fact, I'd do this before I bothered buring yet another disk).

The 10.04.3 images boot just fine, it does NOT, however, seem to boot
for you on this system. I, personally, have done, at this point,
thousands of 10.04 installs starting back at release and progressing
on through the current images for the latest point release.

Assuming that you do what has been suggested (summary
1: check the MD5 Sum of the iso image against the posted sum
2: burnt a new CD
3: Booted and removed the quiet line so you can see the boot messages

and another suggestion:
4: try turning the ISO into a bootable USB stick using usb-creator and
boot from that.

I have had some older systems that simply will not boot from home made
disks, but boot just fine from USB.

Assuming all that, then start thinking hardware failure (why DID that
machine suddenly fail?) and a bug in 10.04.3 for THAT particular bit
of hardware...

Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:35:35AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> Due to a problem with a computer not being able to find its FAT, I
> downloaded and wrote Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso to a CD, and tried
> to boot from it.
>
> It would not boot on that computer, so I figured that it was a fault
> in that computer.
>
> However, I have just tried to boot from that CD, in my laptop, an
> HP/Compaq NX5000, and it would not boot. It had a screen with the
> word Ubuntu, and about 5 or 6 litle boxes in a row underneath it,
> and the boxes lit up in sequence, and it cycled around doing that
> for a few minutes, and then the screen went blank and nothing else
> happened.

How long is "a few minutes", exactly?

What does a blank screen mean -- did the backlight go out as well? Was
there a blinking cursor?

I've had this experience once (unreasonably long wait, blinking
text-mode cursor after a brief graphical splash) and made the same
assumption ("doesn't boot"). Then I tried again and waited longer --
and then it booted.

> I removed the CD, and inserted a Ubuntu 8.04 DVD, and booted from
> that, and that worked.
>
> So, it appears that Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS CD1 iso image, is not bootable.

Marius Gedminas
--
We don't care. We don't have to. We're the Phone Company.