Old 11-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Marius Gedminas

Default Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS: initiate shutdown by pressing POWER button ?

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 01:08:40PM +0100, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu Server 64 on an HP Proliant Microserver. It's a
> "headless" install, which means there's no screen or keyboard
> attached to the server. In the morning I just switch the Power
> button on, wait 30 seconds, then switch on all the desktop clients.
> And in the evening I connect to it via ssh and then:
>
> # shutdown -h now
>
> Before the Ubuntu Server 64 install, the server ran Slackware64
> 13.37, and a nice feature was that automatic Power Down worked out
> of the box. When the server was switched on, I just had to shortly
> push the Power switch, and then the system would shutdown by itself.
> Thus, no hassle connecting via SSH and invoking 'shutdown -h now'.
> Simply press the single button to stop it.
>
> Any idea how I can have it working like this with Ubuntu Server ?

IIRC all you need to to is sudo apt-get install acpid. Then acpid will
start paying attention to Power button events and shut down your server
when you press the power button.

Marius Gedminas
--
Any time somebody tells you that you shouldn't do something because it's
"unprofessional," you know that they've run out of real arguments.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

IIRC all you need to to is sudo apt-get install acpid. Then acpid will
start paying attention to Power button events and shut down your server
when you press the power button.

Marius Gedminas

Thanks very much. That did the trick.

Niki Kovacs