Old 11-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Liam Proven

Default One foot out the door!: I've grown to hate Linux Ubuntu

On 3 November 2011 16:11, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>Subject: One foot out the door!: I've grown to hate Linux Ubuntu
>>
>>Part 1: http://youtu.be/A98xaimAF-g
>>Part 2: http://youtu.be/2TItsrnmmHw
>

> youtu.be? *What's that, some Romanian version of youtube? I wouldn't open
> that site...

It's Youtube's own official short URL service, for putting links on
microblogging sites. (I.e. Twitter, to all intents and purposes.)

If you've not seen it before, you don't get out much!

Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Liam Proven

On 3 November 2011 16:02, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> Part 1: http://youtu.be/A98xaimAF-g
>
> Part 2: http://youtu.be/2TItsrnmmHw

I watched the beginning of the first one, but I ran out of patience. I
much prefer text to video or audio.

Yes, you're right, the dialog boxes should auto-size to fit smaller
screens. I'd file this as a bug or perhaps better still a paper-cut.

I would note that in my experience Windows does /exactly the same
thing/ on 800*480 screens and in some cases on 1024*600 screens.
Indeed it can do it right in the setup program, making it very hard to
install it at all.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
"compdoc"

On 3 November 2011 16:02, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> Part 1: http://youtu.be/A98xaimAF-g
>
> Part 2: http://youtu.be/2TItsrnmmHw

I don't have a problem with hidden buttons because my screen is so large,
but that bit about the Launcher popping up and getting in the way is my
major complaint. It wasn't thought out very well...

Old 11-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Gerry Boland

>Subject: One foot out the door!: I've grown to hate Linux Ubuntu
>
>Part 1: http://youtu.be/A98xaimAF-g
>Part 2: http://youtu.be/2TItsrnmmHw

Hey Douglas,
I'm a developer on the Unity 2D team. Your second video showing the Launcher locked on screen is a massive bug,
but I'm using Unity2D every day and I've never experienced it (aside from this bug: [1] which isn't your issue).
Nor can I find any such report in Launchpad.

Would you mind answering a few questions:
1. Had you noticed a concrete way of reproducing this bug?
2. Does the Launcher behave correctly ever? As in, is the auto-hide working at the start, but then gets stuck?
3. This is stock Ubuntu install, or an upgrade?
4. Can you please tell me the model of the netbook you're using?
5. In a Terminal, please run
dconf read /com/canonical/unity-2d/launcher/hide-mode
and
dconf read /com/canonical/unity-2d/launcher/use-strut
and give me the shell output. These keys define the launcher's behaviour. I'd like to check that they're set ok.

We want our software to work properly for everybody, I am sorry you're having such a poor experience. Any assistance
you can give would be greatly appreciated.
-Gerry

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity-2d/+bug/884267

Old 11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Conny Enstrm