Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

Default Cannot start Eclipse with either IcedTea or Oracle Java

On 3 November 2011 08:58, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Note that I have since installed "canberra-gtk-module" but as
> expected, it did not solve the crash.
OK, works on Ubuntu 11.10, installing kubuntu-desktop on that VM to
see if it makes a difference.
There used to be a bug two-three years ago but that was fixed... I was
thinking of upgrading my home laptop tonight, better get this working
before that!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Dotan,
> On 3 November 2011 08:58, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Note that I have since installed "canberra-gtk-module" but as
>> expected, it did not solve the crash.
> OK, works on Ubuntu 11.10, installing kubuntu-desktop on that VM to
> see if it makes a difference.
Works here I'm afraid. I've done the usual apt-get install
kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-restricted-extras and then ran eclipse w/o an
issue. It might be because I started with an Ubuntu environment.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 15:31, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Works here I'm afraid. I've done the usual apt-get install
> kubuntu-desktop kubuntu-restricted-extras and then ran eclipse w/o an
> issue. It might be because I started with an Ubuntu environment.

Thank you Hakan. Which Java are you using?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 3 November 2011 16:49, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you Hakan. Which Java are you using?
Cranking up the VM again.... Ooh, it says Kubuntu now. :-)

hakan@ubuntutest:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_23"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.11pre) (6b23~pre10-0ubuntu5)
hakan@ubuntutest:~$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"
hakan@ubuntutest:~$ dpkg -l eclipse
ii eclipse 3.7.0-0ubuntu1
Extensible Tool Platform and Java IDE

Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi Dotan,

On 3 November 2011 07:20, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Kubuntu 11.0, when I try to start Eclipse I get this crash:
>
> ✈saturn:~$ eclipse
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

I had the time free so got the std 6

Old 11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 3 November 2011 07:20, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Kubuntu 11.0, when I try to start Eclipse I get this crash:
> ✈saturn:~$ eclipse
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Oh I really hate the new gmail interface...

OK, I had the time so I created a brand new VM from the 64 bit
kubuntu-alternate CD. After doing apt-get update && apt-get
dist-upgrade -y && apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras eclipse
virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 and then a reboot, everything works here.
Eclipse pops up with the standard icedtea w/o a problem. I don't have
the canberra-gtk-module installed, the only two things I have here
are:

hakan@kubuntutest:~$ dpkg -l|grep canb
ii libcanberra-pulse 0.28-0ubuntu11
PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
ii libcanberra0 0.28-0ubuntu11
a simple abstract interface for playing event sounds

Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 20:57, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 07:20, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Kubuntu 11.0, when I try to start Eclipse I get this crash:
>> ✈saturn:~$ eclipse
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> Oh I really hate the new gmail interface...
>
> OK, I had the time so I created a brand new VM from the 64 bit
> kubuntu-alternate CD. After doing apt-get update && apt-get
> dist-upgrade -y && apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras eclipse
> virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 and then a reboot, everything works here.
> Eclipse pops up with the standard icedtea w/o a problem. I don't have
> the canberra-gtk-module installed, the only two things I have here
> are:
>
> hakan@kubuntutest:~$ dpkg -l|grep canb
> ii *libcanberra-pulse * * * * * * * * * * 0.28-0ubuntu11
> * * * * * *PulseAudio backend for libcanberra
> ii *libcanberra0 * * * * * * * * * * * * *0.28-0ubuntu11
> * * * * * *a simple abstract interface for playing event sounds

Thanks, Hakan!

I just erased my default workspace and configured another, and now
Eclipse starts fine. I wonder what was wrong with that workspace.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 8 November 2011 08:45, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just erased my default workspace and configured another, and now
> Eclipse starts fine. I wonder what was wrong with that workspace.
Nice to know you managed to get it working. I wonder what was going on
with the workspace...
FYI, the message "Gtk-Message: Failed to load module
"canberra-gtk-module"" pops up in my terminal when I run the u1sdtool
commands on my 11.10 KDE laptop but I haven't bothered to debug any
further. I think that's an unrelated message to any of the problems.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 20:57, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Oh I really hate the new gmail interface...

They are accepting feedback right now, and you can switch to the old
interface in the meantime. Do let them know what you don't like, the
Gmail team wants to fix it. I left to them a ton of feedback.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com