Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Nicolas Kovacs

Default Ubuntu Server 10.04 LTS: initiate shutdown by pressing POWER button ?

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu Server 64 on an HP Proliant Microserver. It's a
"headless" install, which means there's no screen or keyboard attached
to the server. In the morning I just switch the Power button on, wait 30
seconds, then switch on all the desktop clients. And in the evening I
connect to it via ssh and then:

# shutdown -h now

Before the Ubuntu Server 64 install, the server ran Slackware64 13.37,
and a nice feature was that automatic Power Down worked out of the box.
When the server was switched on, I just had to shortly push the Power
switch, and then the system would shutdown by itself. Thus, no hassle
connecting via SSH and invoking 'shutdown -h now'. Simply press the
single button to stop it.

Any idea how I can have it working like this with Ubuntu Server ?

Cheers,

Niki Kovacs
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Web : http://www.microlinux.fr