Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 AM
Linux Tyro

Default Installing OS: Disk Partitioning

Hi,

Well, I am fine with Unbuntu LTS (it is giving me everything I need). But I have planned to go with Ubuntu '64 bit' version (Lucid Lynx only) for which I have started the download too. Well, right now I am having one CD of openSUSE 11.4 too. I just want to see how openSUSE looks, before again installing 64 bit Ubuntu. A couple of things, confusing me a lot here are as follows. I going step by step what I did and what exactly I found in this operation of installing openSUSE 11.4.

Inserted the CD in the CD-ROM (yes it was the first boot option). Everything was going on smooth but after some time I came to the windows where I have to do something regarding 'partitioning'. The CD, by default showed with the following output. It said me as followed:

__________________________________

-Delete partition /dev/sda5 (111.25 GB)
-Create root volume /dev/sda6 (20.00 GB) with ext4
-Create volume /dev/sda6 (91.25 GB) for /home with ext4
-Use /dev/sda5 as swap

-Set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /widows/c

__________________________________

I continued with this (the above) default scheme which it took and didn't click to 'edit the partition'. Finally arrived at the page where the summary of what the distro is going to do in finally (for installation). At this page/step was written in red, the following message:

__________________________________

"The boot loader is installed on a partition that doesn't lie entirely below 128 GB. The system might not boot is BIOS support only lba24 (result is error 18 during install grub MBR)."

__________________________________

What does it ('the installation process') want to say?

Further, I was confused with what partitions to delete with. So I am giving here that table also (which came at the same step on which above error came). But before I give, I just want to tell that my requirement was to install openSUSE only in the space in which current Ubuntu (32 bit) is residing and making Windows XP remain intact (only my sis uses it).

Now the partition table (which came BY DEFAULT, at the step at which the above error (in red) came) was as follows:

__________________________________

/dev/sda**** 232.89 GB

/dev/sda1** 116.88 GB********** HPFS/NTFS******* NTFS***** /windows/c

/dev/sda1** 116.01 GB********** Extended

/dev/sad5** 4.75**** GB********** Linux swap******* Swap**** Swap

/dev/sda6** 20.00** GB*** F**** Linux native***** Ext4****** /

/dev/sda7** 91.25** GB*** F**** Linux native***** Ext4****** /home

__________________________________

In this partition table,

First line: Well, /dev/sda is the whole of hard disk and its capacity is 232.89 GB. Its well understood. But when I bought, the vendor told me the capacity of 250 GB, so remaining (250-232.89) GB=17.11 GB are where, I don't know.

Second line: /dev/sda1 is the Windows partition, and I guess it is taking number '1' since it is the default boot option...? It has been formated by NTFS file system as shown clearly.

Third line: /dev/sda1 extended? Is it windows only? If yes, why its size is 116.01 GB? and not 116.88 GB (which is in the line just above it). What does it mean?

Fourth line: /dev/sda5 Okay Linux swap, understood and it is separate partition. I don't know where /dev/sda2, /dev/sda3, /dev/sda4 have gone?? From '1' it has jumped to -->> '5'...!

Fifth line: /dev/sda6 is the root, since at the last symbol '/' is coming and again its a separate partition. But why it is calling Linux native? And why there is coming a 'F' written just after 20.00 GB, what is it representing?

Sixth line: /dev/sda7 ok its /home (written at the last), but it is also 'Linux native' and again that 'F'.

On the same stage (on which the partition table and the error in red was being displayed), I had one more thing interesting, it is as follows. It was under the heading 'Change Location':-

__________________________________

-Boot from MBR is disabled (enable)
-Boot from "/" partition is disabled (enable)

__________________________________

I don't know WHY to enable any one of the above options or to enable both or to not touch............? And what does they mean (the above options).

After I got this all, I just ABORTED the installation thinking it could lead to system crash. I logged in to the Ubuntu and opened the terminal and typed-in the command ('sudo fdisk -l') and got the output:

__________________________________

myfamily@myfamily-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xfedcfedc

** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks************ Id***** System

/dev/sda1** *********** 1********* 15258** 122553318+** 7****** HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2********** 15258****** 30402** 121644033**** 5****** Extended
/dev/sda5********** 15258****** 29781** 116658176*** 83***** Linux

/dev/sda6********** 29781****** 30402**** 4984832**** 82****** Linux swap / Solaris

Now when I have to install openSUSE (before I actually install Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 64 bit), I just want to install it over the space of Ubuntu. I should, therefore, in what way install it? I just want to have a separate '/home' and a separate '/' (root). From the just above command ('sudo fdisk -l'), I don't guess my paritions are separate for '/home' and '/' (root)......??

If any one can elaborate in detail all this above mentioned points, I would be really be thankful to. IF anything better could be done, please elucidate regarding the partitioning given above.
--

Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What'swrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"